Day 7 of the "Kilbrittain Whale Preservation" Tour 2012


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Augusta
July 19th 2012
Published: July 21st 2012
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Day 7

Prevelly - Margaret River - Agusta - Alexandra Bridge

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
 Video Playlist:

1: Whales Augusta 74 secs
Day 7 had dawned and we were very pleased with the new tent! It was perfect, exactly what we wanted! No more worries about getting drowned during the night anyways and the tent came down ten times quicker than it went up as well, good spirits all round. Into The Seaside Rover only to find the battery was dead! Now at this point I should hold my hands up and mention that I had my phone charging in the car while we were taking down the tent and packing the gear so I’ve taken full responsibility for the flat battery. We got jump leads form a cleaner guy and got a jump start from a surfer guy. Happy days again!

Over the road to Margaret River we went basically for a haircut! It was badly need to be fair as you can probably see from some of the photos. Margaret River is a nice town with plenty of wineries and breweries but our wine tasting had been done the night before after sampling a box of goon.

We headed south to Augusta for some whale watching, in honour of the Kilbrittain Whale Preservation Committee and because we wanted to
Best Photo I got of a whaleBest Photo I got of a whaleBest Photo I got of a whale

I have a great video though, I'll get it uploaded at some stage!
go whale watching! We arrived at the jetty at 1.30 for the tour at 2.00 and weren’t waiting long for our “skipper” to greet us. A jolly fellow he was, I don’t remember his name now but we got on very at the time. We were ushered out to the boat in a dingy and set sail. We enjoyed 2 hours of scanned the open ocean for whales and weren’t disappointed! We must have sighted at least 30 whales (some may have been the same). A crescendo to the whale watching was the display the whales put on for us half way through about half of which I got on video. 3 whales jumped out of the water followed by a tail in the air and then another whale jumped. You wouldn’t see our whale at home jumping!!! The skipper took us out round a few islands, one of which had a seal colony inhabiting it. A few more whale sightings and back to dry land. Defiantly worth the $80 dollars.

After a couple of pints of Guinness in the Augusta Hotel we hit the road again and found a campsite at Alexandra Bridge. The campsite was in forest
Captain ColmanCaptain ColmanCaptain Colman

Titanic al over again id say
and even though a caretaker is supposed to come around and take fees, there was no sign of him so fee nights camping…lovely hurling!!

Our first proper encounter with wildlife occurred here, when we had a serious campfire lighting. There is no lights where we were camping and even though there were a good few other people camping around it was pitch black bar the light of the fire. I heard a noise coming from the trees and then Colman heard a noise and he decided to investigate. Shining his touch up into the trees look for the source we saw nothing. I started shining mine as well and then I saw it behind us, not 15 feet away and 10 feet up the tree was a bushy tailed possum staring at us. We kept an eye on him for a while but he soon disappeared up into the trees. All we heard for a while was him jumping from branch to branch and dropping the casing of the nuts he was eating. Later we heard a loud scream from outside the tent and Colman went to investigate. He reckons it was a mating call as there were now two possums out there! I reckoned he was a pervert for watching them!


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Im king of the worldIm king of the world
Im king of the world

Decided I may a well go for it if Coley was driving!
I Took OverI Took Over
I Took Over

Just didn't trust Coley like!
#KilbrittainWhaleSociety#KilbrittainWhaleSociety
#KilbrittainWhaleSociety

As we were there like!


Tot: 0.157s; Tpl: 0.03s; cc: 10; qc: 51; dbt: 0.1011s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb