Fremantle Prison, South Beach BBQ & road to Albany


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Albany
February 18th 2011
Published: February 18th 2011
Edit Blog Post

We visited Fremantle prison the day before heading south to Albany . Built by convicts for convicts, the new type self build. Built 1852 onwards and only closed in the 1991.
Pretty grim place. It was a maximum security place on its closure and apparently the place that convicted felons feared to be placed!!

Before leaving Fremantle we met up with our friends Sam & Emily for a BBQ on South Beach.

Hopefully the pics speak for themselves.

Picked up car 15th Feb and after dropping of keys for flat headed South to Albany.
The countryside varied from bush to lush. As we got further South we hit the wheat & sheep belts which looked pretty hard work.
The journey was some 450k (290 miles) & took almost 5 hours. Stopped at Wiliams an old sheep station half way for lunch.

As we got closer to Albany the agriculture became more cattle oriented and nearer the coast vineyards started to pop up around the Mount Barker region.

Temperatures in Fremantle were 33 - 35 C and when we arrived in Albany mid afternoon in was down to 29 C

As I am a bit behind, we arrived in Albany on the 15th February - Temps have dropped to about 24 C and we had rain on the 17th and toady the 18th. It hasnt stopped us doing things - We have been out in the car everyday - Hopefully the weekend I can catch a few rays!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 32, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



Tot: 0.503s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 19; qc: 73; dbt: 0.1728s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb