As we move closer to the end of our travels...


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Williamstown
January 29th 2012
Published: January 29th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Ellie and I are into our final four weeks in Melbourne and only have nine weeks in total left of our travels. We haven't been up to much since Christmas apart from enjoying the sunshine and hot weather (it hasn't rained for over a week in Melbourne which is very unusual!). Ellie is still working at her place but I have now gone to an 'on-call' temp at my place because the work has died down. I worked two days last week and (potentially) three days this week. It's a bit of a shame that I am not working full-time but oh well, work is work!





At the weekend we took a river cruise down to Williamstown. We boarded the cruise in the CBD and took an hour and a half cruise down the Yarra River to Williamstown (named after King William IV of Britain) and went for a scenic walk, a lay on the beach and some lunch before catching the cruise back to the City. Williamstown is a beautiful little town, it's very quaint and actually very much like an English sea-side town would have been like in the 1940s. It also seems like it is a very big British tourists hot-spot as all the people who seemed to walk past us were British!





Williamstown is one of the oldest suburbs of Melbourne and was first settled by white settlers in 1835 and by 1858 the population was 4000. Its Local Government Area is the City of Hobsons Bay. It is a unique maritime village but long before maritime activities shaped the modern historical development of the area, Aboriginal people occupied the area and it was the Yalukit-william clan of the Kulin nation to first call the Hobsons Bay area home.



For our last few weeks in Melbourne, we haven't got much planned at all – mainly planning for our New Zealand trip and saving money for that. Over the weekend, we also managed to book our flight to Sydney from Brisbane (after we arrive back from New Zealand) and are leaving Brisbane on 28th March so we have 5 days in Sydney before flying home on April 2nd. I will update again before we leave Melbourne and head for NZ.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.124s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0757s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb