Down under for sure


COMING SOON HOUSE ADVERTISING ads_leader
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Warrnambool
March 22nd 2014
Saved: November 12th 2018
Edit Blog Post

DOWN UNDER FOR SURE
Guess what was happening in Melbourne when we arrived from Christchurch, N.Z.? The Formula One Gran Prix!!!! No room anywhere for us. So after 1 1/2 hr. traveling with our newly rented, compressed version of a Campervan, in a driving rainstorm, we were sited on the Geelong peninsula. As it turned out, we were at the beginning of THE GREAT OCEAN ROAD. And again as luck would have it, exactly where we wanted to be.
As always, we started at the local VIC (visitor information center and as always the staff had great quantities of information, maps, and suggestions as to how we could best utilize our time and see the best of what was in the area. Torquey is the center of surfing competitions and will be jumping shortly. As we watched the huge surf and surfers while eating lunch, we could easily understand the attraction.
The GREAT OCEAN ROAD is a 70 km long road built by the returning veterans of WW1 as a memorial. It was carved out of sheer cliffs in a winding steep configuration that enabled us to see the results of the power and beauty of the sea. We explored lighthouses, seacoast villages that again are getting ready for the off season, but are still open to visitors. A month long sculpture event in Lorne decorated the entire coastline walkway with large and diverse designs.
As we drove into a Reserve area in the Great Otway National Park, we had our first sighting of Koala bears sleeping peacefully in the gum trees that lined the road. We found out that they do not sleep in the trees where they eat the eucalyptus leaves, but wake up and go to eat the leaves of other trees at night. There are 1418 species of gum trees and the ones that intrigued us were the Stringy Bark variety that sheds bark in long strips, thus leaving trees with no apparent bark. And on our way out of the area, we saw a MOB of Kangaroos on a Ecofarm. Our campsite that night was on Johanna Beach overlooking the ocean from a height with walkways down to lookouts for our photos. As we moved on to the 12 Apostles cliff and rock formations (there are only 8 remaining), we came upon a car that had just hit a kangaroo and the driver was trying to deal with that trauma, both to his passengers and the animal.
At the 12 Apostles Lookout that is a beautifully sited parking and kiosk area and walkway, we met a coupe of Canadian cyclists who are biking all over the world for 2 years and another couple who are out on the road for a year to see most of Australia. Great adventurers with a joyful spirit. The cliffs and rocks are immense and impressive at any time, but we stayed to see what is touted as the most beautiful sight at sunset. It certainly was and well worth the wait. Then back to our campsite at another reserve where a kangaroo hopped across the road as we entered the area. We eventually found out that all the scat around the area was from kangaroos eating the grass and roaming freely thru the area.
We have been directed not to miss a wonderful Artisan Cheese shop outside of Warrnambool. Heading inland from the coast, we found this wonderful shop, the Mousetrap, for cheese sampling, wonderful coffee and scones with clotted cream and jam. Wow! What a treat especially on a blustery, cold and rainy day.. And I now have the scone recipe to try at home!
Here in Warrnanbool we have heard the story of the shipwrecked Loch Ard and the only 2 survivors. We had visited the Loch Ard Gorge earlier, from where the two survivors were rescued. Flagstaff Hill, a journey back in time, provided us with a narrated tour of the history of the town, changes in maritime navigation, results of man made breakwaters, etc. The maritime village provides the vital link between the culture and heritage go the Shipwreck Coast and the contemporary Great Coast Road experience.
Tomorrow we go to Port Fairy and then head inland toward Bendigo on our way to begin our last full week for Aussie exploration. No Worries


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


COMING SOON HOUSE ADVERTISING ads_leader_blog_bottom



Comments only available on published blogs

Tot: 0.336s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 51; dbt: 0.1074s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb