Philip (Penguin) Island, Melbourne


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Philip Island
December 13th 2010
Published: December 15th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Today (Mon 13th Dec) we went to Philip Island (Penguin Island fame from the recent Rolf Harris documentary on BBC). It is about 100km south of Melbourne, so we hired a car to make the trip down. The weather was an improvement on our first day, with partly sunny skies clearing completely by the evening, but the temperature was still realtively low, probably about 20C so it felt more like an English summer, and was quite bracing in the wind.

Anyway, it turned out to be a really good day. Philip island has a very country feel about it and it was good to get away from the city for a day. We saw plenty of Koalas sitting in Eucalyptus trees, though they don't do much other than sleep and looke cute. There is some amazing coastline scenery, and the highlight of the day was watching the Penguins come in from the sea at sunset. There are 2 grandstands set-up on the beach holding about 2,000 people, and as soon as the sun goes down, the penguins start to appaear from the sea one by one, then get into groups and eventually make their way into shore to thier nests, where you can get a very close up view of them as they struggle to find their homes. Well worth the trip, and a good day all round!


Additional photos below
Photos: 41, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

038038
038

Our hire car - it was so exciting to get to drive in another foreign country. This was a Holden (aussie for Vauxhall)


Tot: 0.081s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0507s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb