Does anyone know the rules....


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Melbourne
August 8th 2005
Published: August 16th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Aussie Rules FootieAussie Rules FootieAussie Rules Footie

Bulldogs vs Eagles
As soon as we had checked into our hostel, we went out exploring where we were and as we were only a block away from Queen Victoria Market we had to go shopping. Chrissie got a very good deal on a very nice jacket... In the afternoon we went to the Melbourne Gaol (my second jail in as many weeks) which is quite an eerie place. There is only one wing left and they have filled the cells with loads of information about the former tenants and very creepily with the death masks of the men and women who were hung there, including Ned Kelly. Alledgedly it is haunted, and the night tours and very scarey, but thankfully I was there in day light... We wandered down into town and watched the sunset over the city from the Observation Tower.

The next day we caught the shuttle bus to St Kilda and had a good look around the waterfront. There is a Luna Park - one of the world's oldest funfairs - there, but it was only open on the weekends - why was I surprised?? We got teh tram back into town and hung out at Federation Square for a bit, before heading into Southgate and along the river to the botantical gardens, observatory and shrine of rememberance.

On the Saturday afternoon we headed to the MCG (Melbourne Cricket Ground) to watch a game of aussie rules footie and even after two and a half hours - I'm still no wiser as to what was going on. Apparently it was a big games for both sides (the bulldogs and the eagles) - the bulldogs won, which means they are only 3 games away from the final...but I don't know if that's the league final or some cup final...

Chrissie was away early the next morning to get the shuttle back to Sydney in order to make her connection to the UK. I went to the Immigration Museum - which gave you an idea of the policies that have shaped Australia into the country that it is. I spent the afternoon at the Museum of the Moving Image, before getting organised for my early flight to Alice Springs the next morning.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.206s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 55; dbt: 0.1182s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb