Melbourne Cox Plate 2006


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Melbourne
October 29th 2006
Published: November 4th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Not quite the weather we were hoping for...but then it's Melbourne and so we pretty much assume it's going to be cold, colder, or freezing!

We arrived in Melbourne on Thursday night about 9.30pm. SEAMLESS! Tickets, check. Luggage, check. Suits? Check! 😊 Our accommodation? We stay at the Shortstay apartments in Southbank. Just gorgeous! I highly recommend staying there! See their website (http://www.shortstayapartments.com.au).

Friday, 27th Oct
Up early (for a non-working day), we all ate breakfast that we had conveniently brought with us from Sydney. Raisin toast and coffee YUM!

After breakfast we went our separate ways. Todd's parents went on the MCG tour while Todd and I head to Chapel St & Bridge Rd for some shopping. As it was a work day it wasn't very busy. Also the rain probably didn't help either. We managed to get to Chapel St using the trams but did have a bit of trouble getting to Bridge Rd. We ended up in St Kilda?! Ah wells! The tram turned around and so we just got back on till we hit Bridge Rd. In the end I bought a black hoodie with silver horses on the front, a pair of ballet slipper Crocs, and a mini Oroton umbrella. We also grabbed some yummy burgers at Grilld for lunch (http://www.grilld.com.au).

We took the tram back to Southbank, relaxed a bit, then we were all off again to dinner at the Meat & Wine Company. Just what I needed! A delicious steak and hot creamy garlic mash! The view was great from our table - sunset over the river, Melbourne skyline lighting up, Crown Casino fireballs, oh and lots of windblown trees and cold people trying to get home from work. Definitely lots going on! We were glad to be inside where it was warm.

Saturday, 28th Oct
Cox Plate 2006. Colder than usual. 17 degrees or so. My dress definitely not meant for Melbourne weather but still determined to wear it. Well I didn't bring anything else! I did bring my trusty coat. The coat I wore most the day!

We caught a cab to Moonee Valley. The weather not getting any better. Up to the Members Stand for some food. The best sausage rolls I've ever had! Next to our reserved seats in the stand. Very thankful that it did not rain as we were not under cover! I registered for Fashions on the Field. Hey why not 75K worth of prizes up for grabs. The Melbourne girls sure do put a lot of effort (and money!) into their outfits! Loved the winner's outfit! So yes, I did not win :p

The big race was later that afternoon. By that time I had my hoodie and coat on...BRRR! I bet on El Segundo who came 2nd but was very happy for Fields of Omagh (FOO) to win. How great to win the Cox Plate at age 9 in his last race before retirement! Longshot too! Even better!

After a long and cold but exciting day at the races, I slipped off the heels and changed into my silver Crocs. We among thousands left Moonee Valley all trying to get a cab or tram home. At first we were going to get a tram, but we were lucky to nab a cab before the other race-goers did.

Home at Southbank we changed into our comfortable trackies, ordered some pizza and pasta and watched some tv.

Sunday, 29th Oct
Sydney-bound we all packed our suitcases and were out of the apartment by 10am. Checking out across the road, we left our luggage. We had a couple of hours to kill before we had to catch the plane back to Sydney. The girls went to Bourke St mall for some shopping while the boys went to Crown Casino for some paper-reading. I ended up buying millinery supplies from Cleggs. I just love that store!

Back to the apartment, we collected our luggage and took a cab to the airport. Melbourne Cox Plate was over for another year. Fingers-crossed for a warmer one next year!!! 😊


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Melbourne by nightMelbourne by night
Melbourne by night

Our view from our Southbank apartment


Tot: 0.086s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0464s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb