Background: Aboriginal settlers arrived on the continent from Southeast Asia about 40,000 years before the first Europeans began exploration in the 17th century. No formal territorial claims were made until 1770, when Capt. James COOK took possession in the name of Great Britain. Six colonies were created in the late 18th and 19th centuries; they federated and became the Commonwealth of Australia in 1901. The new country took advantage of its natural resources to rapidly develop its agricultural and manufacturing industries and to make a major contribution to the British effort in World Wars I and II. In recent decades, Australia has transformed itself into an internationally competitive, advanced market economy. It boasted one of the OECD's fastest growing economies during the 1990's, a performance due in large part to economic reforms adopted in the 1980's. Long-term concerns include pollution, particularly depletion of the ozone layer, and management and conservation of coastal areas, especially the Great Barrier Reef.
Photos from Richmond
No Start a Travel Diary Free Travel Blog Site
Blogs from Richmond
Latest Blogs from Richmond
- April 27th 2013 Melbourne - Just Livin'
by Words: 460 Photos: 7
- March 13th 2012 Becoming Melbournites (at least for a little while again)
by Words: 592 Photos: 27
- February 25th 2012 Sarah Comes To Melbourne
by Words: 426 Photos: 6
- February 24th 2012 An Irish Visitor
by Words: 504 Photos: 1
- February 15th 2012 Mountain Goat Brewery
by Words: 298 Photos: 5
- February 5th 2012 3kg of luggage for 3 weeks in South East Asia? Challenge accepted!
by Words: 471 Photos: 3
- January 4th 2012 MERRY CHRISTMAS & HAPPY NEW YEAR FROM MELBOURNE
by Words: 611 Photos: 8
- November 18th 2011 Any one know how to slow time down?
by Words: 671 Photos: 0
- October 26th 2011 Melbourne
by Words: 174 Photos: 38
- October 19th 2011 Untitled.
by Words: 1307 Photos: 0
- October 15th 2011 Melbourne update
by Words: 709 Photos: 0
- May 1st 2011 Bye bye Melbourne!
by Words: 475 Photos: 24
- December 26th 2010 The Boxing Day Massacre
by Words: 606 Photos: 44
- December 25th 2010 Merry Christmas!!
by Words: 151 Photos: 21
- December 21st 2010 G'Day Mate!
by Words: 1195 Photos: 41
- December 1st 2010 Weekend in Bangkok the Melbourne
by Words: 217 Photos: 0
- February 25th 2010 Leaving Melbourne for a new Continent.
by Words: 571 Photos: 9
- November 22nd 2009 Back to work
by Words: 590 Photos: 7
- July 19th 2009 Leaving Soon
by Words: 49 Photos: 0
- April 25th 2009 Bikes, walks and job hunting
by Words: 564 Photos: 11