Background: Aboriginal settlers arrived on the continent from Southeast Asia about 40,000 years before the first Europeans began exploration in the 17th century. No formal territorial claims were made until 1770, when Capt. James COOK took possession in the name of Great Britain. Six colonies were created in the late 18th and 19th centuries; they federated and became the Commonwealth of Australia in 1901. The new country took advantage of its natural resources to rapidly develop its agricultural and manufacturing industries and to make a major contribution to the British effort in World Wars I and II. In recent decades, Australia has transformed itself into an internationally competitive, advanced market economy. It boasted one of the OECD's fastest growing economies during the 1990's, a performance due in large part to economic reforms adopted in the 1980's. Long-term concerns include pollution, particularly depletion of the ozone layer, and management and conservation of coastal areas, especially the Great Barrier Reef.
Photos from Hawthorn
No Start a Travel Diary Free Travel Blog Site
Blogs from Hawthorn
Latest Blogs from Hawthorn
- February 22nd 2012 The zoo
by Words: 319 Photos: 3
- January 26th 2012 Australia Day
by Words: 307 Photos: 3
- December 27th 2011 Christmas
by Words: 391 Photos: 3
- December 16th 2011 Jet lag!
by Words: 356 Photos: 3
- January 28th 2011 The Wonders of Australian Residency
by Words: 377 Photos: 0
- November 16th 2010 Life, work and parties
by Words: 1358 Photos: 0
- October 7th 2010 Did I say 10 things? I meant five...
by Words: 1866 Photos: 0
- September 30th 2010 Finally, our own, permanent address...
by Words: 106 Photos: 0
- September 13th 2008 Preparing for our trip
by Words: 18 Photos: 1
- November 16th 2007 Where is the Time...
by Words: 955 Photos: 9
- November 9th 2007 Skies
by Words: 504 Photos: 4
- October 26th 2007 Weekend Ahead
by Words: 490 Photos: 0
- October 11th 2007 Roughin' It
by Words: 689 Photos: 2
- October 10th 2007 Update Soon
by Words: 24 Photos: 0
- October 5th 2007 The Clocks Runnin'
by Words: 937 Photos: 0
- September 30th 2007 Sometimes it's as Simple as a Hug
by Words: 315 Photos: 1
- September 29th 2007 Smiles Worth a Thousand Words
by Words: 1250 Photos: 0
- September 27th 2007 Losing Hope
by Words: 806 Photos: 2
- September 26th 2007 Big Day in Aussie Land
by Words: 996 Photos: 0
- September 24th 2007 Birthday Pt. 2
by Words: 675 Photos: 6