Background: Aboriginal settlers arrived on the continent from Southeast Asia about 40,000 years before the first Europeans began exploration in the 17th century. No formal territorial claims were made until 1770, when Capt. James COOK took possession in the name of Great Britain. Six colonies were created in the late 18th and 19th centuries; they federated and became the Commonwealth of Australia in 1901. The new country took advantage of its natural resources to rapidly develop its agricultural and manufacturing industries and to make a major contribution to the British effort in World Wars I and II. In recent decades, Australia has transformed itself into an internationally competitive, advanced market economy. It boasted one of the OECD's fastest growing economies during the 1990's, a performance due in large part to economic reforms adopted in the 1980's. Long-term concerns include pollution, particularly depletion of the ozone layer, and management and conservation of coastal areas, especially the Great Barrier Reef.
Photos from Crown Casino
Blogs from Crown Casino
Latest Blogs from Crown Casino
- October 6th 2011 Almost there
by Words: 10 Photos: 0
- March 17th 2010 Melbourne photos
by Words: 7 Photos: 18
- October 6th 2009 Road Trip!
by Words: 878 Photos: 0
- January 31st 2008 Neighbours should be there for one another...
by Words: 1928 Photos: 13
- August 1st 2007 Melbourne - everybody needs good neighbours!!!
by Words: 1109 Photos: 24
- February 21st 2007 Great Ocean Road/Melbourne
by Words: 903 Photos: 7
- January 16th 2007 2007 Australian World Poker Tournament
by Words: 166 Photos: 6
- August 12th 2006 Crown Casino
by Words: 110 Photos: 0