my first 3 weeks in Aus


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Melbourne » City Centre
January 15th 2009
Published: January 15th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Ok, first off i MUST appoligize for my lack of blog entries thus far. It is much more expensive and no where near as easy to sit on a computer here, in a internet cafe then in India. i will try to catch you all up....

After a horrible 3 day treck to sydney (thanks to vancouver's freak snowy winter, and a missed connection in sydney) i finally made it and amazingly caught my flight up to Brisbane. i was happy to get to my hostel and even more happy that the time difference hadn't caught up to me and i was able to fall asleep no problem. In a room with 10 beds and me being the only girl... it took a little getting used to. The hostel was great though and the people who ran it hosted a BBQ on the beach for all of us... yum!

after 5 days there, i headed back to sydney and hooked up with my friend Hope (from home) who had been living there for a couple months now with her sister Diana. they had a "flat" and we headed there from the train station. Little did i know that they were sharing a master bedroom in an appartment with 2 french guys and in the rest of the appartment 7 others lived sqeezed in from the sundeck to sleeping in the family room..it was a tight fit but i was so lucky to have somewhere to stay. no time wasted we started our first night of 6 dollar bottles of wine and the local bar

In the days to follow we walked around the city and explored the harbours. it truly is an amazing place...amazing and expensive and to be honest a lot like vancouver..

after a week there we took the bus to Canberra (the nations capital) where we met up with Hope's 2 french room mates who had made the trip a couple days before us...hired a car and took off to Melbourne. First stop was Thredbo, a Whistler like mountain village home to the tallest peak in Australia. the next morning we took the chair lift and hiked almost to the peak. it was soooo beautiful. large boulders and low feilds of mountain flowers took our breath away.....

next we set out to Lake Entrance. it was a 90 mile white sand beach and the home to my first Australian ocean swim. the surf was huge and the sun was hot, by the end of the day i had ears full of sand and a head to toe sunburn. (yes mum, i was wearing sunscreen. spf 50 and enough to lather up a school bus full of children, but it didnt seem to matter) we left Lake Entrance for a little town called Foster. we arrived to find ourselves checking into a small cabin, with our own laundry!!!! and kitchen!! such a nice break from the hostels we had been staying in...

the town of Foster it self was sweet adn uneventful but the national park nearby turned out to be well worth the drive.
that brings us up to today.... where after an AMAZINGLY stressfull drive in to Sydney (wrong side of the road, completely different road rules and 4 backseat drivers) we found our hostel and was relived to return the rental car and start to explore the city by foot.

i wont leave it this long to keep you updated.. i hope all is well!!
g'day!


Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement



15th January 2009

Yay an update!!
hey dan! so rad to hear about the first leg of the trip! I was thinking about you today and your post has sure cheered me up. hehehe. i had to giggle to myself about the spf 50 note. man, if you got burnt head to toe i would have fried if i was in australia right now. hehe. miss you tones love

Tot: 0.099s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0588s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb