Background: Aboriginal settlers arrived on the continent from Southeast Asia about 40,000 years before the first Europeans began exploration in the 17th century. No formal territorial claims were made until 1770, when Capt. James COOK took possession in the name of Great Britain. Six colonies were created in the late 18th and 19th centuries; they federated and became the Commonwealth of Australia in 1901. The new country took advantage of its natural resources to rapidly develop its agricultural and manufacturing industries and to make a major contribution to the British effort in World Wars I and II. In recent decades, Australia has transformed itself into an internationally competitive, advanced market economy. It boasted one of the OECD's fastest growing economies during the 1990's, a performance due in large part to economic reforms adopted in the 1980's. Long-term concerns include pollution, particularly depletion of the ozone layer, and management and conservation of coastal areas, especially the Great Barrier Reef.
Photos from Caulfield
Blogs from Caulfield
Latest Blogs from Caulfield
- September 5th 2008 Home James... but not for long...
by Words: 1329 Photos: 184
- April 14th 2008 17 more days
by Words: 146 Photos: 0
- March 31st 2008 Long time no speak
by Words: 337 Photos: 0
- June 17th 2007 T Minus 1 Week
by Words: 60 Photos: 0
- June 8th 2007 Home Again
by Words: 150 Photos: 0
- April 2nd 2007 Going Away Drinks!!!
by Words: 170 Photos: 0
- March 2nd 2007 T Minus 3 Hrs & 22 Mins till Take Off
by Words: 99 Photos: 1
- February 13th 2007 שלום ממלבורן!!!
by Words: 7 Photos: 7
- November 30th 2006 איזה ימים מטורפים!!
by Words: 13 Photos: 4
- November 26th 2006 סבבה במלבורן!!
by Words: 5 Photos: 0
- October 28th 2006 NEW EDDRESS
by Words: 44 Photos: 0
- October 21st 2006 Caulfield Cup
by Words: 276 Photos: 20