Melbourne's laneways


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Melbourne » CBD
September 24th 2011
Published: October 18th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Melbourne is home to some very popular little laneways which have everything from little shops, to cafes to bars. Leahanne and I joined a walking tour of the laneways to get some history on them and Melbourne.

We got to try some chocolate, discover some neat little shops that you would never even know were there and learn some really interesting history. I now know why Melbourne's CBD grid was set on an angle. There once was a creek that flowed from the Yarra river and the man in charge of making Melbourne decided to put the road over the creek which was on an angle.

The tour finished up at a little cafe for lunch. We ate our lunch and then Leahanne decided to take me to a couple of her fav laneway bars. One was down a little side street and you would never know it was there unless you went down it. Really cool! We stopped and had a beer here. Then we went to a rooftop one where we had to climb like a million stairs.Really cool though and it's all fake grassed out so when the weather is nice it would be awesome!

We were in pretty festive moods so we got dressed up and headed out to Leahanne's friends birthday party. A petty fun night and it ended with us going up the Eureka tower building as her friend lives there on the 19th floor. I got some great pics from his balcony!




Additional photos below
Photos: 26, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.28s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 17; qc: 72; dbt: 0.1745s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb