Spectacular scenery on our road trip!


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Great Ocean Road
July 10th 2007
Published: July 10th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Before I begin to bore you all to death, I have to say a huge congratulations to Niamh and Mark who got engaged on Sunday (can't believe you didn't wait for me to do your nails!). And I must also add that Sarah being her usual brazen self managed to get our little car crime quashed, so we're $1000 richer each!

So we got up on Tuesday morning and as we left Sarahs flat the fog was so think around St Kilda, as we got the tram into the city it seemed to be getting worse, high rise buildings were shrouded in fog. At this point Sarah thought we shouldn't bother and maybe go shopping for the day - I think she really wanted to go back to bed! But I insisted, so we nervously took out our rental car and begin our trip west.

We stopped off outside Geelong for some breakfast and from there on it was foot to the floor all the way to Torquay, where we stopped at the famous Bells beach, I think they hold world surfing championships there every year. Then we drove along the road and stopped at various lookout points - I swear it was spectacular and no amount of photographs can do it justice. I read in the Lonely Planet that there's a golf course in Anglesea with a resident kangaroo population so we veered off to have a look at them. Of course we couldn't find them, so we got back into the car to restart our adventure and as we did we saw a bunch of people looking at something - there were about 25 - 30 kangaroos lying out in the sunshine, while the golfers golfed around them - bit bizarre!

On we went through Aireys Inlet onto Lorne, which really looked like something out of Home & Away. All of the towns were pretty quiet but I can only imagine that in the summer they're thronged and must be even more beautiful. Sarah was driving at this point and I was delighted with life because I got to admire the scenery the whole way along the Great Ocean Road. The road from Lorne to Apollo Bay was really windy and by the time we reached Apollo Bay I felt quite car sick. So we had a little pit stop and I took over driving.

We drove on for about another 2 hours and reached the 12 Apostles at about 4 o clock. It was really busy there and there were lots of dark clouds overhead so our photos didn't turn out as well as we thought they might. It was lovely to see, I suppose because they're one of Australias most photographed images.

We spent about an hour there, going to the various vantage points. Then we had to come up with a plan for the night. At this point we contemplated driving back to Melbourne, but it would've taken 5 or 6 hours and along such windy roads we didn't think it'd be so safe. So we drove into the nearby town of Port Campbell - the no vacancy signs on some of the places to stay on the way in didn't look too promising, but after driving around and around this little town we eventually found a place. We got a flat, which was lovely, really snuggly - we even had electric blankets, which were badly needed! We drove back down the road to the town and everything was closed, except the shop. So we bought a few bits and went back to our flat where we bedded down for the night!


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement



Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0536s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb