Geelong Waterfront Frolics


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Geelong
February 24th 2013
Published: February 24th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Another lovely, warm day on Geelong and of course, what better way to spend the day, than to walk a couple of kms to the waterfront.

A brisk pace was set by one of us and we arrived at the waterfront in about 1 hour and in time for brunch at the Wharf Shed restaurant, iced coffee being the beverage of choice. The waitress left a bit to be desired, in that, her command of English may have surpassed the kindergarten stage. We lost count of the number of times we were called "yuse"in the end, we thought we would get more response by "bahhing" our requests. Suffice to say, her tip equalled her command of correct grammar. The young fellow who eventually took our order, had obviously had a heavy night, the night before and didn't want to be there. Having said that, the waterfront precinct was a wonderful area to spend some time.

We walked the length of the esplanade, pass the ferris wheel, beach (with volley ball courts), public swimming enclosure, carousel , numerous wharves and the famous decorated 'bollards' to represent local identities. To return, we jumped on a Thomas the Tank Engine, truck/train, alongwith the other big kids, that returned us to our start.

We started to walk back and as we passed the bus interchange, one of us noticed that he was by himself. A quick search revealed Gail waiting for the bus due in 10 mins to bring us back to our campsite, instead of walking in 32 degree heat - without shade.

It really was worth seeing, and if ever you are down this way, we recomment that you allocate a day to meander around this area. As usual, photos will appear on Facebook.

Advertisement



25th February 2013

Gee Geelong
Looks like I missed most of the good parts of Geelong when I was there. Good job with the walking, the bike already has that big trailer to tow.

Tot: 0.118s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0591s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb