The Race That Stops a Nation


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Flemington
November 6th 2008
Published: November 6th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Flemington Racecourse, Melbourne: approximately 3.04pm. A collective sigh goes up from the crowd. It seems no one had fancied the Bart Cummings long shot… No.10 Viewed.

Along with 106,000 other happy race-goers, my good mate Chris and I, along with his cousins (hailing from Melbourne) made our way to Flemington for one of the world’s most prestigious horse races.

Now let me say I know absolutely nothing about horse racing, other than that betting on them is a mug’s game. However, that being said I think I was probably one of only a handful of people cheering on the roughie as Viewed crossed the line first by a whisker. Yes, by absolute fluke I had somehow managed to back a winner, much to the ire of the seasoned punters around me. My $5 bet paid huge dividends.

The long weekend in Melbourne was a lot of fun, as we also witnessed the Kangaroos demolish the Pom’s in the Rugby League world cup at the Dome. On top of this we also saw Australia not do so well against the Irish in the Gaelic Football (an absurd game of soccer, rugby league and AFL all rolled into one) at the MCG.

The long weekend didn’t consist entirely of sport. We also managed a road trip 3hrs west of Melbourne to the historic town of Ballarat to watch a mate play in a band. Ballarat is in actual fact a lot closer than this; however we managed to go via Tullamarine- just wanted to check the airport was still there.

Amongst all this activity we still found time to sneak in a few quiet ales at some of Melbourne’s most iconic pubs, including the Espy. I was amazed to see the number bands that have played at this incredible venue which has stood at the top of Fitzroy for the past 130 years.

Where was Carissa I hear you ask? While she is never one to turn down a chance to frock up, she was a good sport and graciously declined in order to allow a bona fide boy’s weekend. Instead she single-handedly did her bit to prop up the ailing Australian economy… she may have taken K Rudd’s advice on spending a little too much to heart.

Prior to these festivities we were in Launceston and Burnie where Carissa was working- supporting me in the lifestyle I have become accustomed to. We managed some day walks out to the beautiful Cataract Gorge in ‘Lonnie. Carissa also had the experience of working in a pharmacy undergoing major renovations (literally a construction zone) which made for some interesting experiences.

We are now ‘going bush’ for a few days in Cradle Mountain National Park where we have been assured of a 100% chance of being rained on. Our good friend Murray of Smithton Pharmacy fame has kindly lent us amateurs his hiking and camping gear. We will hopefully emerge from the wilderness some time next week somewhere remotely in the vicinity of our vehicle.
Until next time, Hoo Roo.





Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



6th November 2008

Probably because shes so tired from working all the time!
7th November 2008

I have seen that pose of Carissa's many a time... um in church I recall. Yes during her own father's preaching!!! I think she landed on the floor one time during a very awkward moment but it never stopped the future zzzzz's in church. Oh fond memories of you Carissa! Miss you!
7th November 2008

Gooday Mates!
:) ya'll are still the coolest couple ever! Hope you're doing well!

Tot: 0.119s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 12; qc: 58; dbt: 0.0654s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb