Day 60: Starting our journey along the Great Ocean Road‏


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Anglesea
February 7th 2013
Published: February 11th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Some call it the greatest coastal drive in the world... well we'll let you know if we agree in 5 days time! We headed down past Geelong and joined the Great Ocean Road just past Torquay. Our first stop was Bells beach where they hold the RipCurl surf pro each year, the waves weren't at their best but we saw some surfers give it a go. Just down the road our next stop was the views at Point Addis, the sea is a beautiful turquoise and the cliffs are a mustard yellow. We spent a couple of hours on the beach at Anglesey (not in Wales!) and took a walk up to Airley's inlet split lighthouse. Of course we also took the time to go koala spotting enroute, only two were spotted and a snake! We opted for a cute caravan site just outside Apollo Bay for the night; seems the whole of the Australian Caravan Club are here for their summer-do!

Bailey's bit: The Great Ocean Road was first built by returning soldiers after World War I and took 13 years to complete. It's extremely windy and undulating but good fun to drive! We also visited Erskine Falls, although again the lack of rain meant it was a trickle rather than full flow. A note about the split point lighthouse, it was used in the TV show 'Round The Twist' I'm sure that's a reference people of my age will get! We also saw a Formula 1 car on part of the road, I think you may see a promo advert prior to the Melbourne Grand Prix featuring it!

Daily mileage: 5(am) went out on the long straight roads (think Route 66) and did a short 1 min, 2 min, 3 min and 4 min efforts with 50%!r(MISSING)ecovery after each rep.
2.5(pm) the camp site is on the Great Ocean Walk so ran along the trail near to our pitch. I found the track is definitely suited to walkers rather than runners as it regularly turns into beaches!


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



Tot: 0.126s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 13; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0697s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb