14th March


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Tasmania » Port Arthur
March 14th 2010
Published: March 14th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Sunday 14 th March

Lazy start and eventually got our act together to go to Port Arthur. Our little hire car a Nissan Tiida not a model we get in the UK but looks like a bigger posher Micra.
A beautiful sunny day to start with not a cloud in the sky and forecast 25 degrees.

We set off and stopped on route at a waterside café for breakfast. A sea eagle flying around and the mysterious sea boat so called by Wendy flying in the sky. (She meant sea plane). Then made our way to Port Arthur going past warning signs for Tasmanian devils, (photo to follow)

Port Arthur was a penal colony established after Napoleonic wars and because it was on an island no real chance of escape. Once you paid your dollars you were given a paying card and then through a series of exhibitions followed the fate of your convict. I was delighted, my convict was a soldier convicted to hard labour for theft. However on route to the penal island he was employed as an overseer and was used to flog the other prisoners who got out of line. I became the boats flagellator and ensured the rules were strictly followed. I feel sure I must be related because I could see me doing that job with a degree of satisfaction. Wendy’s convict became a tailor, boring.

Port Arthur though was a lovely place with loads of British trees, oaks, willows and horse chestnuts, I saw a local delighted at collecting conkers.

We also saw the separate prison where the loonies were kept separately and even at church had isolated pews (photos to follow) the exercise was 1 hour a day and we took a picture of the rules. Hopefully a flogging ensued for transgressors. We also went on a boat ride round the harbour and saw a penguin on Death Island where 1100 people are buried,

Took a few pics of a gecko hopefully you can see it as it was well camouflaged.

Then a 120 km drive back through great scenery, top speed was 100 kph which was great fun.


Just got back, Wendy’s having a bath with a gin and tonic evening meal booked.

Keep watching UK dudes

Phil and Wendy

XXX




Advertisement



Tot: 0.133s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 14; qc: 60; dbt: 0.0586s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb