Cataract Gorge & “Lonnie” Launceston


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Tasmania » Launceston
February 10th 2012
Published: February 12th 2012
Edit Blog Post

It was wonderful going to sleep to, and walking up to, the sound of the ocean. The Bay of Fires really is a gorgeous spot and, along with the Tasman Peninsula, the highlight of our Tassie trip so far. We purposely didn’t take any photos here as it would just be impossible to capture such beauty in a still shot. I’m reminded that you don’t need much at all to be content and at peace. And I’d have loved for some of our friends to be here too, to share this special place and time with us.

Only having two days left in Tassie, we headed West to Launceston. First off, on our way to Cataract Gorge we couldn’t believe how steep the roads are in Launceston. San Francisco eat your heart out! The gorge has plenty of walking tracks (and peacocks) and we opted for the climb up to the Cataract Lookout. It’s quite a nicely developed area, but the development itself kind of spoils the natural beauty of the place. Next, we headed into the city centre and were fortunate to discover that our visit coincides with the annual “Festivale”, a two-day celebration of Tasmanian food, wine, beer, entertainment and arts. We were going to go to it on Friday evening but, the weather still being against us, we decided to wait until Saturday. Hopefully it will be dry then.

We were really chuffed with our choice of caravan park this time. If you’re ever in the area, the Launceston Holiday Park in Legana is lovely. I’m beginning to appreciate the little touches of “luxury” like: a warm welcome, being given TWO keys to the bathrooms and having a nice cooker in the camp kitchen :-)

THE TRUTH (by Dean Glasgow)

It has been decided that the peacock chicks are not automated robots to help bring in the tourist dollar.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.162s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0984s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb