Keeping our Eyes Skinned in Tasmania


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Tasmania » Burnie
February 6th 2010
Published: February 6th 2010
Edit Blog Post

2/6/10
Keeping our Eyes Skinned in Tasmania

These aussies really have a strange way of talking. They greet you with G’Day, tell you no worries mate, and now we have to keep our eyes skinned. This was all as we were traveling on our Taste of Tasmania Tour yesterday in Bunie. Our guide was a semi-retired govt worker/ business developer and apparently a volunteer for the guide job as were most we saw all day.

We started out about 9 am with the skies slightly overcast but the sun came out later and it was a very nice day. We travelled first to the Chocolate Factory and our bus was first so we got to have Tea first. Tea meant very desserts like chocolate mint cheesecake and chocolate orange mousse cake for us. Plus a sampler of chocolate for later. We then heard the story of how the factory was started about 20 years ago by a Belgian Student who started making truffles in his kitchen and then got an order from a Japanese Business for 3 tons of truffles to be delivered in 9 months as Christmas Gifts for his employees. He paid up front so the student could hire help and expand to his garage. After Tea we had a short tour of the factory and watched them make Easter Eggs. We also learned about the two types of chocolate: the good and the bad. The good is rich in cocoa butter and the bad uses other fats.
Then it was off to the town of Sheffield to see their murals. On the way we went thru Railton which is trying to become the town of Topiary and has a good start to it. We had a little time in Shefflield for Retail Therapy and to take some photos of the murals (there are hundreds) on the buildings.

Then it was off to the Trowunna Wildlife Park which is a rescue and release facility helping injured and orphaned wild animals. They served a BBQ lunch of lamb burgers, spicy sausage, and chicken wings. After lunch we had our hands painted by an Aboriginal woman/son for our safe keeping and then went thru the park with a guide. Our first stop was for a baby wombat which we all got hold and then a slightly older (2 year old) one that was much larger so we only got to pet. There was also a Wallaby in the area. Then we headed to see the Tasmanian Devils which she fed a wallaby leg. They were very funny to watch. They are currently endangered because of some face cancer and researchers are still trying to figure out the cause.

It was then time to head to our last stop at a Cheese Factory. When we originally booked it was supposed to stop at a Honey Farm for Honey Ice Cream but we’d been notified a while ago that it was changed to a Cheese Factory. Yesterday they mentioned this was because the owners were 7th Day Adventists so don’t work Sats. Having seen 2 Cheese Factory tours in Amsterdam last summer and being the great lover of cheese that I am (NOT) this wasn’t going to be my favorite stop but it wasn’t as bad as I thought as they talked more about how the business was started and expanded. Ok so they also had an ice cream area and the chocolate and caramel was very good. John had an Iced Chocolate but also sampled the cheese.

It was then time to drive back to the ship along the coast which was very pretty. We even went thru the town of Penguin where a Bride and Groom were having pictures taken in front of the large concrete penguin. There was also a fence along much of the road to keep the real penguins (Little blues) from becoming road kill. Apparently they come to shore every evening at dusk.

Almost all of the tours got back right at 5 so it was very busy getting back on the ship but there was a pipe and drum band playing for us. We changed clothes and headed to the Dining Room for dinner and this time requested a table for 2. I had the New Zealand leg of lamb and John had Chicken Cordon Bleu and Cabbage and DAM Bacon soup. We then headed to the show to see Martin Lass play the violin. He played mostly Gypsy music along with a few of his own compositions and was very good. We then stopped by the Piano Bar for awhile before calling it a night.

After two busy ports we’re ready for a couple of quiet sea days. We’ll see how rocky it


Advertisement



7th February 2010

Glad your learning the lingo.
Sending these Blog's publicly seems to be the trick. Tried twice privately, so will continue Publicly. Beth is highly impressed with all the wonderful sites and different foods you are trying. Says she would go just for the CHOCOLATE FACTORY. And again and again and again. Can never have enough chocolate. Don't bring a BUDDY for BUDDY!!! Continue having fun---MOM LOVES YOU BOTH!!!

Tot: 0.857s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 18; qc: 73; dbt: 0.4891s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb