Background: Aboriginal settlers arrived on the continent from Southeast Asia about 40,000 years before the first Europeans began exploration in the 17th century. No formal territorial claims were made until 1770, when Capt. James COOK took possession in the name of Great Britain. Six colonies were created in the late 18th and 19th centuries; they federated and became the Commonwealth of Australia in 1901. The new country took advantage of its natural resources to rapidly develop its agricultural and manufacturing industries and to make a major contribution to the British effort in World Wars I and II. In recent decades, Australia has transformed itself into an internationally competitive, advanced market economy. It boasted one of the OECD's fastest growing economies during the 1990's, a performance due in large part to economic reforms adopted in the 1980's. Long-term concerns include pollution, particularly depletion of the ozone layer, and management and conservation of coastal areas, especially the Great Barrier Reef.
Photos from Burnie
No Start a Travel Diary Free Travel Blog Site
Blogs from Burnie
Latest Blogs from Burnie
- November 23rd 2012 Carole & MaryLou's Excellent Adventure-continues
by Words: 859 Photos: 3
- January 6th 2012 Off To The Promised Land
by Words: 1334 Photos: 25
- January 4th 2012 Are There Any Penguins In Penguin?
by Words: 1385 Photos: 24
- February 6th 2010 Keeping our Eyes Skinned in Tasmania
by Words: 795 Photos: 1
- July 18th 2009 Tasmania - part 4 - road trip
by Words: 541 Photos: 33
- March 7th 2009 The animals
by Words: 688 Photos: 0
- October 14th 2008 C & D Take on the Aussies
by Words: 1924 Photos: 17
- May 16th 2008 Here we go!
by Words: 177 Photos: 1
- April 13th 2008 Where in the World are We?
by Words: 221 Photos: 1
- December 15th 2007 Tasmania
by Words: 301 Photos: 16
- January 5th 2007 full circle Tassie
by Words: 238 Photos: 0
- November 20th 2006 Howdy From The Dead Centre of Tassie...
by Words: 468 Photos: 8
- October 15th 2006 What a great few weeks!!!!
by Words: 736 Photos: 7
- October 15th 2006 The Burnie 10: Aussies Premier 10km Road Race + Longford Fun Run....
by Words: 460 Photos: 9
- March 21st 2005 Stuck in Boggo Burnie
by Words: 18 Photos: 1