More Tassie and then Melbourne


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Tasmania » Bicheno
October 24th 2007
Published: October 28th 2007
Edit Blog Post

We finally said goodbye to our wonderful oceanview apartment and headed towards Port Arthur. Port Arthur is one of Australia's great tourism destinations. They say every building and every site has a story to tell. Created with convict labour, the impressive architecture, gardens and prison still stand for all to view. The Port Arthur Historic Site has over 30 buildings. The Penitentiary, the Separate Prison were all very impressive. We went on a fun ghost tour that evening and enjoyed all the stories they told.
Up bright and early on Friday morning we headed to Hobart. There were many beautiful sites to see. We took a long walk along the waterfront and did some shopping in the little shops. You will see pictures of Salamanca Place on Friday and then a whole new world on Saturday morning when locals, farmers and all come for the city market.
On Saturday morning (after a trip to the market) we headed toward the airport and back to Melbourne.
We were met at the airport by Sunbus. (They actually were on time--unlike when we landed in Sydney and they were 1 1/2 hours late).
We checked into our hotel and then went for a walk. Since there was an art festival still going on---we went to Feberation Square watched a couple more street performers and then over to one of the stages they had set up to listen to kids perform and watch all the people.
Up early this morning and off to Queen Victoria's Market. I love that place. We had corn on the cob, mexican doughnuts and some kind of egg sandwichs for breakfast. We have checked out our dinner reservations and have packed the suitcases.
We will finish this blog when we return to the states.



Additional photos below
Photos: 24, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

prison cellsprison cells
prison cells

Notice how little they were
WallsWalls
Walls

These walls were hand built and are well over three feet deep


29th October 2007

memory cards....
i just want to know how many you filled up! im anxiously awaiting your arrival! candi and i have had a count down for about... 10 weeks! how you and steve have a safe flight back and arent too jet lagged!!

Tot: 0.086s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 15; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0521s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb