Yeldurknie to Tumby Bay


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » South Australia » Tumby Bay
May 26th 2014
Published: May 26th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Travels with a Wookie 2014


We were reluctant to leave Yeldurknie Weir - such a lovely, quiet place. We were all ready to head off and I noticed a lovely gum flower (erythrocorys native to the Dongara area in WA) and stepped out to take a photograph. When I returned to the car no Chewie. He was eventually found being a Koala. First sign of naughty behaviour this trip.

Drove into Cleve and filled the car. Most small towns now appear to have a special entry gimmick and Cleve's is a corrogated iron sculpture of a border collie guarding each entrance. We couldn't find the museum we wanted to visit and when we consulted our tourism information discovered we had to call to make and appointment to have it opened for inspection. Didn't have time for that. We had visited another branch of this museum in Whyalla last year. It is all about rural life and early settlers of the region. Cleve is a nice little town, good wide streets, very neat and tidy and was fairly busy, though it was Saturday morning.

We headed to Arno Bay and walked all three of their boardwalks. The first wound through mangroves, across a mud flat and joined onto the second a walk through a sandy area with lots of pines, back onto the first boardwalk again and back to the carpark. We discovered that these mangroves are of the most common species of mangrove in the world and are habitat to many fish and bird species. Whiting, Prawns, Crabs etc. and the only bird I managed to photograph was a little Pied Cormorant. We were supposed to be able to observe the crabs feeding on the mud flat, but didn't see one. Needless to say the mud flat was named Crab Flat.

The area is home to an endangered species of Samphire, a plant which survives in extreme salt conditions including being covered by water for long periods of time.

In the sandy area we found Pittasporum (native apricot), Boobialla and of course pine trees. There was supposed to be an old well and we found the seat commemorating it but no sight of the well itself.

The whole area is set up with very nice seating areas, shelters and stands for people who fish to handle their bait and clean their catch. There are even lots of rubbish bins around.

Once back in the car park we headed for the third walk. This one to the creek entrance at the beach. Once more a very good walk with fishing stations and seating areas and a very nice beach when we got to the end. We covered 2.5 kms and it was great exercise and well worth it.

We drove further south and came across a signpost to Verran. We have a good friend whose surname is Verran. We tried to find this one a map a couple days ago and managed to find out it was declared as "ceased to exist" some time ago. But we now know it was 27 kms west of the Lincoln Hghway. However the Hundred of Verran still exists.

We headed into Tumby Bay caravan park. We stayed here last year and really liked it. Tumby is a lovely little town and it has an important feature, it has a croquet club. The park was nearly full! It is a large park and we got the last drive through in the whole place. Chris immediately headed off for a long hot shower. Using our facilities showers have to be very short and so the luxury of masses of hot water was truly appreciated.

Next morning the washing. Not an exciting thing you think, but here they have one massive and very effective machine which I like to use. Could I get near it - no way there was a line up and the fellow in front of me who is a permanent resident was a little too big for me to try and push in front of. When the laundry was done we headed off for a brief look at Port Lincoln. As we were passing through Boston a little to the north I saw a magnificent house (Boston House) two story, stone, verandahs, iron lacework. Just my cup of tea. A search of the net reveals it is for sale "Price on Application". Oh well if I win the jackpot tonight.

Some of the homes high on the hills of PL are magnificent and the views are spectacular. I noticed some fish farms in the bay as well.

We also visited the brand new Bunnings whilst here, just opened. They really are generic these days.

We also found a winery in the town, Delacolline Estate and went for a tasting. The only wine we liked was the merlot. We are spoiled by the area we come from. Whilst we were there a couple came in and asked for a table for lunch and were asked had they booked. They said no and were they expected to do so. The wait person replied in a tight voice it would have been nice. There were about 20 tables inside and 10 outside and not one occupied. My comment "how off putting". The person serving us them made apologies and agreed it was less than appropriate and the couple could easily be seated. A glance at the booking sheet revealed 7 bookings for lunch! I bet my comment got back really quickly.

Returning to Tumby we called in to Louth Bay. A fellow walking his two Fox Terriers came and explained the coast line to us, he seemed very pleasant. Unusual character. He had the look of a very sturdy fisherman with beard and then again he was carrying a very long carved walking stick which gave him an air of someone who walked the hills a lot. He wore a full length duffle coat and very sturdy shoes. He two terriers were little rascals. They kept circling and diving into one particular bush and he thinks they had smelled out a mouse. Kept them well exercised he said. There were lots of cormorants on the rocks in the bay. There is also a free campsite right on the beach but nowhere as attractive as Fitzgerald bay.

Back at Tumby we watched the Crows get beaten (go Port - I put $10 on them at $26 to 1 for premiers this season). It rained all night and today it is a persistent slow seeping rain. We were due to go down and explore the Lincoln National Park today. No way it will a miserable occasion. Instead we are here in the van. We have determined that we will head off to Coffin Bay tomorrow because the gravel roads in the park will be closed and then head north to Ceduna.

Debate at the present time is whether we start of holiday next year by coming to the peninsula and spending a few weeks here and ending up playing in the Tumby Bay croquet tournament. That way we may actually get to see some things which have been inaccessible because we have here in bad weather for two years. The few weeks earlier will make a difference. Further debate to be held no this matter.


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement



26th May 2014

Erythrocorys
Chris are you sure that tree is an erythrocorys? As far as I can remember an erythrocorys (common name Bishop's mitre ) has a bright red cap beneath the yellow flowers. They also tend to be quite very untidy growers and can droop all over the place. Will do a little checking. Judy
26th May 2014

Darn Sure
Yep, the bright red caps fall off when the flower opens and little the ground under neath the tree. At first the flowers are perfect and gorgeous and as they age they go shaggy.
26th May 2014

Bird ID
Hi Chris. Your "pied cormorant" is actually a White-faced Heron. Its a pretty good, clear shot so I'm 100% sure of my ID :)
26th May 2014

Worth it
See, it's worth it to have people around you who know stuff. I don't have to spend so much time doing identifications. That's my excuse, but I must admit I did not use my bird books.

Tot: 0.159s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 53; dbt: 0.103s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb