Lyrup and Chowilla


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » South Australia » Riverland
October 19th 2012
Published: October 20th 2012
Edit Blog Post

LyrupLyrupLyrup

Campsite 12
We needed a break away from the hassles of work, so we decided to pack the truck and head off in the direction of the riverland. The weather had not been great for a while so we hoped for the best and were lucky. We left late after a long day at work, and got as far as Walkers Flat for the first night.

The next morning after a leisurely coffee and raison toast, we moved on to Lyrup Flats National Park. We found a great spot (camp 11 or 12) and although it was a national park we could still take our dog. We had a Park Pass so we stayed for free, but it only costs about $7 per night.

The river was a lot higher than we had seen in a long time to that was good news for the murray mouth. We had suspected house battery problems for a while now and that was confirmed by the fridge cutting out during the night even with two fully charged deep cycle batteries. (Good news was that they were replaced free of charge after we returned)

Unless we wanted to lose all the food in the fridge, we had to keep moving every day - oh well, we got to see more of the countryside. We spoke to one of the Parks people who come around at night to check your permits, and they advised us of another great spot, just above Renmark called Chowilla Game Reserve.

The campsites were next to a creek which flowed off the Murray and as the river level was so high it was stunning. We loved campsite 17. After one night there it was time to head back home again, but we will definately return to this one!


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

LyrupLyrup
Lyrup

Fast flowing sidearm into the main river
LyrupLyrup
Lyrup

View from the bed in the morning
ChowillaChowilla
Chowilla

Campsite 17
ChowillaChowilla
Chowilla

Dinner
ChowillaChowilla
Chowilla

Kangaroos in the background
ChowillaChowilla
Chowilla

Pigface flowers


Tot: 0.097s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 66; dbt: 0.0625s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb