Quorn


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » South Australia » Quorn
April 23rd 2011
Published: April 23rd 2011
Edit Blog Post

Saturday 23 April 2011 (Easter Saturday)
John worked three days last week. He did a few hours of ringing around with painters names from the phone book last Monday and had work for the next day. Jimmy Martin is a 79 year old Irishman who is still working (he says if he stops working he might die). His offsider had fallen off his motor bike and broke his arm and leg so will be out of action for a while, so John is just filling in for the time being - he gets on very well with Jimmy so we will see how it goes.
On Easter Saturday we decided to our first tour of the Flinders Range - just a short drive 40klm drive to Quorn - very pretty scenery on the way through the South of the Flinders Ranges. We crossed over the Pichi Richi rail line quite a few times on the windy road up the range.
Quorn is a very old quaint town which was first settled in 1878, it was the centre of the developing pastoral and agricultural region and the railway reached Quorn in 1879. The town looks much like it would have done in the early days as you can see by the photo down the main street today.
We drove out on the gravel road to check out Devils Peak but only walked a short way just to get the photo. It was a 2 hour return journey and the climb near the top was scrambling over rocks so we just looked and took a photo.
We had lunch at Powel Gardens which was just lovely - a garden of native plants which is a community project with the planting and the upkeep. The weather was just perfect about 26degrees all day.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.243s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 46; dbt: 0.1927s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb