The rellos


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » South Australia » Port Macdonnell
October 7th 2011
Published: October 7th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Alice's Mum and Dad have finally made it. After arranging the visit several months ago I don't think any of us believed it would really happen. They arrived on Sunday after a great visit to Bangkok. They were lucky enough to have a great tour guide in May's brother in law Andy, who whisked them around and even got Eve into a tuk tuk. Having a great view of the river from their hotel room they managed to get on the water (what a busmans holiday) on a teak rice barge for dinner.
Upon arrival in Australia we gave them a whole day to catch their breath with a day pottering around Melbourne in the sun trying to keep them awake, and seeing the next river! The tram ride around the city almost put them to sleep. They both coped very well with the jet lag, although they are both putting down lapses in memory to "jetzheimers".
The next day we were off, with a slight role reversal of me and Chris driving and navigating with Mum and dad in the back asking where we're going. We headed along the coast to the Great Ocean Road which goes west from Melbourne. On our second day we managed to find an obliging koala for mum and dad. Having told them they wouldn't see any koala's we then proceeded to see about a dozen, including one climbing around his tree.
The great ocean road provided some spectacular views of limestone stacks in a boiling frothy sea. We all had a great time although we hadn't allowed enough time and could have easily filled another day. We've managed to find some wildlife, spotting a wallaby beside the road yesterday and lots of birds but mum is most upset that she hasn't seen a kangaroo yet, we'll have to keep her a bit longer!
Yesterday we arrived at Mum's brother's house in Port Macdonnel in South Australia. It has been nice for mum and dad to have a chance to unpack some things and get used to being in Australia.
We're currently discussing plans for the rest of their visit so watch this space.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.126s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0558s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb