Day 19 of the "Let's leave this place and never return" Tour 2012


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » South Australia » Port Augusta
July 31st 2012
Published: August 1st 2012
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Day 19

Port Lincoln - Tumby Bay - Arno Bay - Whyalla - Port Augusta

Tumby BayTumby BayTumby Bay

We weren't impressed
We arose in Port Lincoln on Day 19 after the best night’s sleep that I’d had on the journey so far! Not once did I wake up tossing and turning and Colman agreed that it was one of the best night’s sleep he’d had also. We cleaned up, made breakfast, took down the tent and headed into Port Lincoln to see the sights.

It was a complete letdown to be honest as there was very little to do there so after a few quick photos on the wharf of the jetty and bay, we made tracks back up Eyre Peninsula, in the direction of Port Augusta.

The first place of “interest” we came across along the way was Tumby Bay. A lookout of a group of islands and a Gold Factory turned our heads and so we pulled off the highway in search of these points of interest. Search we did but Tumby Bay was the first place we came across that hadn’t so much as an Information Board in the town. Spotting a lookout signposted we followed the road down a housing estate away from the Beach and back around to where we had come from. At first
Port LincolnPort LincolnPort Lincoln

Nothing Special
we thought kids might have changed the sign for the laugh but after driving back to it, it was either go that way or into private property. Confused, and no sign of a Gold Factory we thought we drive on, until Coley spotted another sign saying it was the tourist drive. Nice one. According to a tourist guide map it should have only been 3 km’s to the cliffs but we must have driven at least 10 km’s on an unsealed dirt road before giving up and deciding never again would we be visiting Tumby Bay!

As we hit the highway again we noticed that the next place we would be passing we be Arno Bay and so the Arny quotes started flying; “Get to the chopper” and “I’m a cop you idiot” were the favourites! We stopped quickly for a photo and drove on again.

We stopped again in Whyalla for a bite of lunch and to take in the views from the lookout in town. Impressively blue waters with The Flinders Range as a backdrop mad this a great spot for lunch.

We had intended on making a slight detour to Iron Knob as Coley
Funny SignFunny SignFunny Sign

Dont Drive like a Wanker
had read that there was an impressive formation of rocks there called the Organ Pipes, however it was getting late in the day so we said we’d drive straight on for Port Augusta and catch it the next time we were in the area!

We got to Port Augusto just before dark, pitched the tent and heading into town to check it out, refuel and check tyre pressure, etc. Back to the campsite we went, made the dinner and away to bed after Coley had told a few Ghost Stories (Noel Furlong-esque)


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Arny BayArny Bay
Arny Bay

Get to the Chopper!
WhyallaWhyalla
Whyalla

Nice water


Tot: 0.09s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0574s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb