Peterborough and Port Augusta


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » South Australia » Peterborough
March 17th 2012
Published: April 11th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Peterborough - Saturday 17 Mar - After safetly leaving Broken Hill and crossing the border into SA and passing through Cockburn (just on the SA side of the border) where the bridge was damaged during the last flood - the temporary road was in good order, we headed to Peterborough ($25pn) to stay for a couple of days to get some washing and cleaning done after all the mud from Broken Hill. We did a tour around town and checked out the Miniture Museum which we thought might be a little boring but what an amazing display of miniture vehicles of all sorts but mainly stage coaches, wagons etc. The couple who made the models and did the tour were just amazing. We checked out the display first, which was amazing, then we went into the chaps workshop and he explained how he made all the models to scale taken from photos and plans. He also explained how he made most of the tools to make everything to scale. These two people are a national treasure - they are elderly and it will be a shame when they decide to call it a day and close the museum. The models were just amazing with every detail so accurate. The chap also built a replica copy of the Peterborough Railway Station (which has been demolished) and is so detailed and just amazing. He even made special tools to make the guttering, the bricks and lots of other special tools. I don't think the photos actually give justice to the amount of work he has put into his models. After this amazing museum we found this cute cafe in an old theatre and found the food was quite good - the owner of the cafe also owned the second hand store next door and opened it up for us (it was Sunday) and we had a good old fossick and I found some lovely old wine glasses which I bought. So it was a very interesting day. It was very windy at the caravan park so we were ready to leave on the Sunday and headed to Port Augusta.

Port Augusta Monday 19 Mar - we did not plan to stay at Port Augusta ($24.30 with TT disc), as we had stayed there for quite a while on our trip over, but John needed some of his scripts filled and we both wanted a flu needle and we had found the Indian doctors here were very good when we were here 12 months ago, and all covered by Medicare so we stopped for 2 nights to visit them before we headed across the Nullabor.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



12th April 2012

Lovely to see u guys enjoyed your final journey for the time being!
Enjoyed looking at the photos, looks like a nice place and yes Ric and I would enjoy seeing the sights there too.... Hope you guys have settled back in Perth ok....Keep in touch love Dawn and Ric

Tot: 0.127s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0772s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb