Pedalling the Lake district of Mt Gambier


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » South Australia » Mt Gambier
June 15th 2009
Published: June 15th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Yell first!Yell first!Yell first!

Heading to the small settlement of Yells, about 5km from central Mt G along the road to Port MacDonnell
A sunny Sunday without pouring rain begged a cycling tour of the Green Belt and Lakes of Mt Gambier.

After gearing up for a chilly 13C maximum, I headed out westwards from Jubilee Highway until Tollner Road, which links back towards Grant avenue by the cemetery and memorial gardens. This is the shire of Grant after all, a famous explorer of the 19th century!

One way to get away from the traffic and amongst the cows and sheep is to explore one of the many farm trails (like budget white tar seal) around Mt G. The scenery is flat or undulating, and at this time of year, autumnal colours are raging!

The ride then curved westwards headed along Yells road to Moorak, where I passed a humble tennis club and, strangely, another cyclist! But they did not bid me hello as I am a poorly mountain bike pedaller…

I then changed direction southwards and across O B Flat towards Yahl, taking Whitehead Road and Square mile road. You get exceptional views of Mt Schank and towards Port MacDonnell as you descend down into yet another mini-valley.

After curving back along a back road into Mt G and Brim Brim road, it was a steady incline up to the crater of the Blue Lake and my first impression, 2 weeks after arriving here. How beautiful it seemed on a blue afternoon, sun out, and plenty of active locals out for a stroll, jog, cycle or meander. The Leg of Mutton lake was dried up, wedged between the Lake and Blue lakes, although excellent vantage point to spot the Centennial tower or a sport of pinecone collecting should I wish to build a fire of cones!!

Another gorgeous day awaited this morning, misty and foggy at ground level albeit clear and warm on top of Valley crater. Nice way to start the day if you can get out of bed at 5C.

More in store I hope.



Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

The 2nd largest city in SAThe 2nd largest city in SA
The 2nd largest city in SA

Looking eastwards towards Swine Flu capital, Melbourne (almost 500km away!)
Mutton dressed as lambMutton dressed as lamb
Mutton dressed as lamb

Leg of Mutton lake, albeit no water! See that the old asbestos clad hospital is is far left distance atop a big hill...memories of Napier?
Pine cone heavenPine cone heaven
Pine cone heaven

Valley Lake
Cave Gardens Cave Gardens
Cave Gardens

Where I and most of Mt G's water ends up, the bottom of town.
End pointEnd point
End point

Looking towards flat, 2nd one in.


Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0404s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb