Ballarat to Mt Gambier


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » South Australia » Mount Gambier
April 30th 2013
Published: May 1st 2013
Edit Blog Post

BALLARAT to MT GAMBIER

The next part of our journey had us travelling on a nice sunny day to Mt Gambier for approximatly four hours. Nicci said that the country side reminded her of Scotland. The roads were very narrow and full of pot holes it was a shock that no one including the dog got car sick. A beautiful little town we stopped for lunch was Casterton, known as the birthplace of the Australian working dog, the kelpie. It was in Casterton that we got a travel guide on Mt Gambier. We discover that Mt Gambier had a sinkhole garden and an ultra blue lake that changes blue though out the year.

Once we arrived at Mt Gambier we stayed at the showground for $15 another for an unpowered site. The showgrounds camping was found in the "Camp 7" book also known as the campers bible. The camp host are Kym and Jen who were really awesome. Kym even spent 2 hours with Nicci teachiall her how to fix the car if something went wrong. One night turned into three, so up went the massive 8 man tent for the two of us and the dog. It was cold and uncomfortable the first night so off we went to kmart to buy a blow up bed which resulted in two blessful nights sleep. We met Tom and Bron and their 3 little boys on the first day and after a night on the beers we made a plan to convoy to Alice Springs together in a couple of weeks. Mt Gambier itself was a beautiful town however the weather was just as moody as Melbourne, 1 minute you want to wear shorts the next pants and a jacket. The umpherston sinkhole was amazing, especially from the bottom and Blue lake was very Blue and amazing however would be even better in November. Next destination after deciding very last minute... Kingston SE.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.064s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.036s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb