Eyre Peninsular


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » South Australia » Eyre Peninsula
February 2nd 2014
Published: February 2nd 2014
Edit Blog Post


View from our camp site
Left Marion Bay and headed for Whyalla a booming industrial town at the head of both the York and Eyre peninsula's with a population of 22,500, major industries include Arrium Mining,steel production and commercial salt production to name a few.I'm sure Whyalla has much to offer but after a 6hr drive all we wanted was a cold drink and something to eat and sleep,so we found the local pub and did not go sightseeing staying overnight before heading to Port Lincoln which has on it's brochure the slogan Seafood capital of Australia.

Port Lincoln a small fishing town compared to Whyalla with a population of 14,00 but boasts home to Australia's largest fishing fleet. The town also caters for the tourists and visitors with plenty of serviced attractions as well as numerous natural/nature made sights to see. You can swim with Seals,Dolphins, Tuna and cage dive with Great White sharks all of these we gave a miss.Instead we took a scenic drive with friends we made on the camp around Coffin Bay national park stunning!

Also on offer is a Gourmet seafood trail boasting some wonderful seafood restaurants that compete with anything the city's have to offer.Coffin bay oysters
JettyJettyJetty

Jetty at the camp site
are renown as being the best in Australia being farmed in pristine waters in Coffin Bay and yes they do taste the best we have ever eaten.

Being on the road and travelling around Australia also comes with its chores so while we were here we had the car serviced and were given advice on what not to miss on our forward journey by the manager and his deputy at the service depot Don't you just love this country hospitality and friendship,so often we are engaged in conversation with locals who are ready to give good advice to ensure we get the most out of visiting their town and region.

Our next stop was Elliston a small town in between Port Lincoln and Streaky Bay at which we intend to stay awhile. Elliston proved to be a very small town relying on local fishing and agriculture to sustain the small population, we stayed one night, however we were privileged with a great sunset over the sea and beach just behind the caravan park and some stunning views along the cliff scenic drive which included some unusual cliff top sculptures by local artists and some unknown.

Overnight stop
Coffin BayCoffin BayCoffin Bay

Welcomed in to Coffin Bay by a native
and we head off to Streaky bay calling in at Venus Bay another small fishing village on the way, we thought we might have stayed here for a while but being only early in the day and not a lot there we decided to carry on to Streaky bay, maybe next time.We arrived in Streaky bay mid afternoon and went straight to the only caravan park in town and booked in.We wanted a beach site but were told not available until Monday so settled for a site close to the beach until Monday.Once settled in we went for a dip in the water to cool down,we have booked in for a week and some serious chilling out.


Additional photos below
Photos: 82, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

Coffin bayCoffin bay
Coffin bay

Nature at it's best


empty beaches



Wind swept sand dunes




coming back from the beach




stunning colours


Breathtaking



This could be The Great ocean road



Port Lincoln

EllistonElliston
Elliston

Sculpture on the cliffs a series of sculptures by local artists Thongz by Todd Romanowycz


7th February 2014

Spectacular scenery and it seems like you are both loving the journey. Keep the blogs coming I am realy enjoying travelling with you

Tot: 0.142s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0744s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb