The Eyre Peninsula


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » South Australia » Eyre Peninsula
September 15th 2012
Published: September 18th 2012
Edit Blog Post

15th September 2012 (towards the Eyre Peninsula)

We left Adelaide just before 9am and headed north towards Port Germain. We camped in the Germain Gorge free camp area, which is a nice quiet spot. We saw two snakes on the road and three blue tongued lizards (two on the road, one near camp). There are quite a few birds here too.

We took a scenic drive through the gorge to Murray Town, a historic old town. The old stone cottages on the fields are very scenic, especially with the canola in flower.

In the evening we listed to Collingwood defeat the Eagles on the radio while we played cards.



16th September 2012

It was an almost clear blue morning, and we saw a roo near the campsite and a large flock of emus not far down the road. We had morning tea in Whylla, and saw the corvette Whyalla which was used in World War II. We continued on to Cowll where we had lunch. This is a pretty town with historic buildings and a good sized jetty. Mike bought some oysters to have with his lunch. We drove along roads edged with wattle
WhyallaWhyallaWhyalla

The corvette Wyalla, at Whyalla.
and cassia in flower, past rolling green and yellow fields, dotted with modern farm buildings and disused stone ruins, and on to Coffin Bay, arriving at the caravan park at about 4pm. It's a nice caravan park with clean, modern amenities and a large playground that Alex and Kyle are loving. It smells of freesias, which are growing wild around here.

Walking to the toilet block after sunset I saw 15 roos.



17th September 2012

We did a coastal drive in the morning, to Dutton Bay, Farm Beach and Coles Point. Beautiful country, yellow and green fields, sheep shearing, blue ocean, beaches and rocky coast.

After lunch and some relaxation time, Dad, Mike, Alex and Kyle went fishing from the Coffin Bay jetty while I took my kindle down there to read. (Just finished Anh Do's "The Happiest Refugee" which was excellent.) It was lovely blue weather for fishing, very calm (and even better for reading on the jetty watching the world go quietly by). Kyle caught two mullet and Mike caught one. Mike ate them as the boys don't much like eating fish, and I am vegetarian.



18th September 2012

A lovely cool blue day here today. We drove over to Port Lincoln and walked around the marina, looking at all the fishing boats. Then we walked along the esplanade and had morning tea, and Mum and I looked at a quilting exhibition. We visited a seafood shop, then headed back to Coffin Bay for lunch. In the afternoon the males went squid fishing in Dutton Bay (with no success) and Mum and I did the Oyster Walk along the shore of the bay, enjoying the views and the pelicans. I love watching pelicans fly, they are so majestic.


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

Coffin BayCoffin Bay
Coffin Bay

Kyle caught two mullet.
Alex and Kyle Alex and Kyle
Alex and Kyle

Port Lincoln in background


Tot: 0.117s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0794s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb