Coober Pedy Day10


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » South Australia » Coober Pedy
July 13th 2010
Published: August 14th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Underground ChurchUnderground ChurchUnderground Church

The stained glass window was so amazing.
We had a good night’s sleep in our Underground Motel room (and endured a cold shower) and then started to explore the town in more detail. After doing some shopping at the Supermarket we went down to an Underground Shop and Museum where Sandy purchased a watch. After lunch we went to the Old Timers Mine and it was here we appreciated the hardship the miners went through to make a living chasing Opals. Sandy got claustrophobic and had to leave the cramped tunnels. We then saw a display of the more modern machinery used to excavate the rock and blow it up to the surface for processing. We are having a rest day in preparation for the long haul to Kings Canyon tomorrow.
We found a fantastic restaurant where the pizzas were amazing and we heard of some people who travelled a thousand kms just to get one of these famous pizzas.



Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement

BeautifulBeautiful
Beautiful

It was so different being underground in this church there was quite a warm feeling.
Underground in the mineUnderground in the mine
Underground in the mine

If you stood up you clonked your head.
So narrowSo narrow
So narrow

Horrible working conditions for the Miners, so much dust.
Underground Miners kitchenUnderground Miners kitchen
Underground Miners kitchen

They worked underground all day and lived underground at night.


Tot: 0.186s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 29; dbt: 0.1504s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb