Yackamundoorie


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » South Australia » Clare
October 14th 2011
Published: October 16th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Seven Hills CelllarsSeven Hills CelllarsSeven Hills Celllars

What an amazing place...
No Comments on the blog ! fantastic, Trish and I do not have to respond , more time to sit on the beach...anyway ..back to the blog !

After a great free camp at Tarlee, we headed further north on the Barrier Hwy passing through the town of Riverton where the local community have preserved many of the significant old heritage buildings.

Next was Saddleworth, settled and named after "Saddleworth Lodge" in Yorkshire by pastoralist James Masters. This town, like many others, also enjoyed the copper mining boom.

We then headed across to the Clare Valley 'proper' via Auburn. It was initially named Tatehams Waterhole in 1849 after the towns first settler, William of Tateham, who reputedly lived in a dugout on the north side of the river. Maybe all this living in holes in the ground and hollow trees explains something about SA ????!!! (tongue in cheek!). Auburn is the southern start of the Riesling trail stretching 35 Klms to Clare and beyond.

On the way to Clare we stopped at Seven Hills Cellars, the oldest winery in the Clare Valley. Established by Austrian Jesuits in 1851 who fled Europe to escape political and religious oppression,
Seven Hills CelllarsSeven Hills CelllarsSeven Hills Celllars

Alter Wine ...I don't think so !
it is the only remaining Jesuit winery in Australia. Originally set up to produce alter wine, Seven Hills is now recognised for its premium table wines The historic winery and cellar door, St Aloysius Church, the College building, and the surrounding vineyards gave us an opportunity to taste some great wines and gain an understanding of Seven Hills religious and historic significance. This would have to be a must do on anyone's visit to the Clare Valley, we found it fascinating and incredible.

After this amazing experience it was coffee time and so we headed into town to Clare. Settled in 1840 it was named after the early pioneers Irish home town, Clare. A major focal centre for the area, Clare has all the services you would expect, but after many of the historic towns of the Barossa we felt it lacked style, old buildings etc...not sure what we mean, but.....still a great place with every facility. Great coffee at the Wild Saffron gourmet food store.

We now headed across to one of our favourite SA towns to see if what we recalled it as was still valid..Burra...and it was and is, what a great town ! Burra
Seven Hills CelllarsSeven Hills CelllarsSeven Hills Celllars

St Aloysius' church
is one of a kind, geographically it is a large settlement spread along a valley and surrounded by low hills. Given the size of the town, it is incredible how little has changed the 'village heart', the five townships, the five pubs, the miners cottages,and of course the monster mine , it is all still here. On the discovery of copper in 1885 2 groups nicknamed the nobs and the snobs vied for ownership and miners flocked from all parts of the world, which created distinct communities, Hampton (English), Aberdeen (Scottish), Redruth (Cornish) and Llywchwr (Welsh). After the mine closed and the town then became known as Burra, today servicing a flourishing Agricultural area. It looks great, with restored buildings and chique shops. The Saltbush fashion label was started here and has a strong presence and is a must for the girls. We really like this Mid North town and this visit did not change our opinions...

We then headed west across to the Main North Rd and then south to Yackamundoorie (Yacka), for the night. Small town with a big name and a brilliant campsite...do not miss it if you are in the area



Seven Hills CelllarsSeven Hills CelllarsSeven Hills Celllars

St Aloysius' church





Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement

Seven Hills CelllarsSeven Hills Celllars
Seven Hills Celllars

Inside St Aloysius' church
Seven Hills CelllarsSeven Hills Celllars
Seven Hills Celllars

St Aloysius' Churcg Crypt
Seven Hills CelllarsSeven Hills Celllars
Seven Hills Celllars

Cask Hall...one of many...
Seven Hills CelllarsSeven Hills Celllars
Seven Hills Celllars

In the cellars
Seven Hills CelllarsSeven Hills Celllars
Seven Hills Celllars

In the cellars
Seven Hills CelllarsSeven Hills Celllars
Seven Hills Celllars

In the cellars
Burra Burra
Burra

What a fantastic town


16th October 2011

The coffee outings don\'t seem to have slowed down since Neil\'s departure and I have a feeling that you two enjoyed all the coffee stops as much as he did! I\'ve just Googled Seven Hills winery and it does look amazing, I can\'t believe that it is still a Jesuit winery and still has so much influence and impact on the community around Clare Valley. What an amazing story. Burra sounds like a great little town and it sounds like you guys really liked it but I can\'t find Yackamundoorie on Google Maps, where are you guys? You\'ve gone off the map!
17th October 2011

what a \'ride\' hey! love the detail descriptions of the places you have and contiue to visit... we feel like we are there with you. keep up the good work. As we discovered with you there are some amazing \'old\' places in SA that continue to be appreciated by all who visit. tThere is nothing like a welll deserved \'coffee\' break (we miss that!!!)We enjoyed out trip home thru Mannum (as suggested) although the roads where a little rough, think we \'bounced\' most of the way. Neil was alittle emotional visiting Nhill and Yanac, and he did visit the hospital and found of course that it been pulled down and the new one built, hoewever he did find one stone of the old hosptial that had the date of the building 9th nov 1941 and 6 years later to the day Raymiond neil gronow was born so that made him happy. Lake Hindmarsh was a good lunch stop. Surprisingly, powered sites and shower/toilets for $12 per nite. Think we may go back sometime lots of water now.MR have-a -chat got talking to Harry and his jack russell \'Tinkerbell\' for about an hour, think Harry was looking for some company!!!!! Home on Sat morning after a wonderful holiday with our 2 \'old\' best friends.!!!! keep up the blog.

Tot: 0.337s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.263s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb