Barossa Valley


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » South Australia » Barossa Valley
March 26th 2011
Published: March 26th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Barossa Valley



Having based ourselves at one of Australia's largest wine producers for a few days, we decided we'd better comence some wine tastings and explore the beauty of the Barossa Valley.
McGuigans, Penfolds, Wolf Blass and Saltram each provided moscato, shiraz and tawny ports which impressed our taste buds. We made a quick stop in Angaston to sample some of the local cheeses at Barossa Valley Cheese Company - finding the 'prince' goat cheese absolutely delishous!
Angaston butcher made some very appetizing salami for happy hour later on, and we headed to Mengler Hill to check out the view over Tanunda, Angaston and Lyndoch.
Afternoon tastings included Chateau Tanunda (which had a rather exclusive VIP tastings room), and Jacobs Creek was our final tasting for the day.
Barossa Valley Farmers Market was on Saturday morning so we decided to purchase some local produce - beautiful strawberries and blood plums - while we just couldn't resist trying a local fudge company's rose chocolate fudge!
We returned to McGuigan Wines where Alex took us on a personalised tour - showing us through the process from farm to barrel to bottle. It is hard to comprehend the quantity of wine McGuigans produce and store - but having tasted their range of ports, cab savs, shiraz and other fortifieds I now understand the endless efforts to perfect the vintage process!
Alex bottled his own 2008 Barossa Shiraz 'the naughty one', which has been far too easy to drink - going down so well with more salami, cheese and biscuits!
I'm thinking plenty of exercise might be required to compensate for the wining and dining the past few days!

Km's this trip 1586.5


Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0303s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb