Background: Aboriginal settlers arrived on the continent from Southeast Asia about 40,000 years before the first Europeans began exploration in the 17th century. No formal territorial claims were made until 1770, when Capt. James COOK took possession in the name of Great Britain. Six colonies were created in the late 18th and 19th centuries; they federated and became the Commonwealth of Australia in 1901. The new country took advantage of its natural resources to rapidly develop its agricultural and manufacturing industries and to make a major contribution to the British effort in World Wars I and II. In recent decades, Australia has transformed itself into an internationally competitive, advanced market economy. It boasted one of the OECD's fastest growing economies during the 1990's, a performance due in large part to economic reforms adopted in the 1980's. Long-term concerns include pollution, particularly depletion of the ozone layer, and management and conservation of coastal areas, especially the Great Barrier Reef.
Photos from Nuriootpa
Blogs from Nuriootpa
Latest Blogs from Nuriootpa
- April 9th 2012 29 Nullarbor 9 April
by Words: 979 Photos: 9
- March 19th 2012 To the Barossa Valley
by Words: 841 Photos: 7
- October 30th 2011 The Barossa Valley
by Words: 45 Photos: 14
- September 6th 2011 T'is a cold wind that blows......
by Words: 392 Photos: 0
- March 30th 2011 The girl who mistook her finger for a grape-vine!!
by Words: 1085 Photos: 11
- January 21st 2011 The Big Red Full Bodied Barossa
by Words: 848 Photos: 11
- October 27th 2010 the barossa valley (first week in australia)
by Words: 232 Photos: 21
- April 4th 2010 Borossa Valley - South Australia
by Words: 0 Photos: 79
- October 16th 2009 Barossa Valley
by Words: 201 Photos: 6
- September 16th 2009 Never Late Than Ever.......Photos!!!
by Words: 122 Photos: 0
- July 10th 2009 This is it...........Journey Begins
by Words: 177 Photos: 0
- July 8th 2009 Last Traing Session ........
by Words: 139 Photos: 0
- July 6th 2009 4 Sleeps to go.........
by Words: 75 Photos: 0
- July 5th 2009 Six Sleeps, the Countdown Begins!!!
by Words: 82 Photos: 0
- July 3rd 2009 OMG 8 sleeps to go......
by Words: 45 Photos: 0
- July 3rd 2009 Allow Messages:
by Words: 48 Photos: 0
- May 26th 2009 Hi from Nuriootpa
by Words: 377 Photos: 2
- April 4th 2009 Crossroads of Australia
by Words: 1399 Photos: 10
- April 3rd 2009 Penfold, Trusty Sidekick or Winemaker?
by Words: 2219 Photos: 20
- December 19th 2008 Wine, Wine and more Wine. By Laura Roberts Assistant Wine Maker
by Words: 484 Photos: 0