Adelaide Hills


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » South Australia » Adelaide » one tree hill
December 9th 2008
Published: December 9th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Ok, so I've finally got the photos up of the Wicked Camper and Adelaide today! We arrived in New Zealand on Sunday evening...we were greated by my auntie Jayn (dad's sis) and my cousin Phil. Have been here a couple of nights and it's so good to catch up with Jayn....so Dan has told me I have to catch up on my blog. We left Adelaide on Sunday so I must do my blog on Adelaide!!!

We travelled from Melbourne to Adelaide in the Wicked Camper in 5 days and covered 1200kms...was so much fun. Doug and Linda met us at the Wicked Depot in Adelaide on Friday 28th Nov, we did a shop run and then chatted and had a lovely bbq...we had the choice of pasta or barbie..i chose bbq on dan's behalf because as a traveller u tend to live off pasta, noodles and soup! When staying in hostels or in the wicked u tend to have one saucepan and that's what is usually the cheapest and easiest!!!!

Doug & Linda (Dan's auntie and uncle, Dan's dads bro) live in a small village called One Tree Hill and had a house built 11 years ago on a plot which was 50 acres...it is a lovely place! We have never stayed at a place like it before and definately didn't expect it! Lovely big house but in the middle of no where, very quiet and peaceful but takes a while to get places. But i think it's worth it :-) Also they have Charlie, a corgy. Doug and Linda took him on from a family that didn't want him any more cause they were breading their other dogs....they couldn't resist charlies cheeky grin. Such a lovely nature and so curious. U can be opposit ends of the garden and he will go back and forth to check up on u, great company. (Hope he makes the move to NZ.) Doug & Linda have decided to move to the Bay of Islands in NZ, they flew over the same day as us, good luck with the house hunt!

So on the Saturday Dan had bought tickets for the 2nd day of the 2nd test between Oz and NZ, had a great day and annoyed the Aussie's by cheering on New Zealand!!! Australia were obviously gonna win the test.....

Doug & Linda suggested an Indian take-away that evening, now the curry away form home just isn't the same as home. We really do have great curry houses at home. The best we've had has been in Singapore (as recommended by Mr Bighton, thank u)....but i have to say this curry in Adelaide was really really good. I went for prawn massala...the prawns in australia are to die for, big fat juicy prawns, love 'em.

Sunday we had a very relaxing pool day, whilst doug and linda tended to their garden and odd jobs (tee hee). Had roast chicken that evening! So good!!!! Cauliflower cheese and all! (Home grown cauli's i might add!) thank u linda, was so so good! The pool is positioned so well u can just sit on the ledge and overlook the adelaide hills infront...photos are on fb.

In one tree hill they are so lucky to be right on the doorstep of the Barossa Valley, a very well known wine region. We did a few wineries before the red wine just all merged into one flavour and the head was getting a little light. Started off at Wolf Blass (my favourite after the tastings) and then Jacobs Creek and then Whistlers, a family boutique winery. Wine tasting was my absolute favourite!

Tuesday we did some driving round and saw quite a bit, did the Largest Rocking Horse in Gumeracha in the morning....man those ladders were SO HIGH!!!! And i did it all in havaianas!!!!! Had a cuppa in Strathalbyn and then picked up some yummy cakes from the bakery. We had to die for fish 'n' chips in Victor Harbour....butterfish, never heard of it but was very good. no cod, and i was gutted when they said they didnt do picked eggs! not the same! england will always rule the fish 'n' chips. and curry.

We walked across to Granite Island (the flies were out of this world, a downside to oz). We walked up a wooden staircase round the island and stopped halfway up to watch the waves crash against the rocks, dan started shouting about a fin he'd seen...it was dolphins. around 6 dolphins swimming along the edge of the island, an amazing sight. really magical, and beautiful animal.

Mount Lofty is so called because it is the highest point in Adelaide, amazing views of the hills and the city from here and we had a picnic at the botanic gardens with rose (of course!) it was a typical english picnic as we sat in the car park sheltered by trees from the wind and rain!!!

Friday morning the boys had appointments at the hairdressers....dan hadn't had his hair cut sine 25th september, when steve kindly shaved dans head...it was well overdue for a hair cut!!! (5th Dec!) Later on we had a lovely lunch at their friends cafe/restaurant and went around the car museum.

Saturday we had another pool day, not brilliant sunshine but chilling out after a busy week was lovely!!

Sunday, we got our flight to New Zealand (via Melbourne) and arrived here at 6pm. The weather was lovely on arrival but has rained pretty much all day today. New Zealand as Jayn says is an outdoors place so when it rains its stay in or shops, so I made a lovely lasagne for tea. A homely meal that is great for a rainy day. We are catching a flight to Christchurch tomorrow and picking up a campervan to tour the South Island, returning New Years Eve to Auckland for NYE, Sam's Birthday and Jayn's Birthday. Planning to do the north of the north island and bay of islands 3rd - 9th Jan, and then watching the cricket at Eden Park on SAturday 10th...then have a week to do rotorua and auckland with Jayn. We are flying to Hawaii on the 16th January and then chicago on 20th January and then home on 23rd Jan!!!!!

That's all for now, not sure how many internet cafes will be around in new zealand.

Lots of Love Jo & Dan xxxxxxxxx

Advertisement



Tot: 0.139s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 51; dbt: 0.1077s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb