WOMADELAIDE 2014...Music is the Weapon of Choice


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » South Australia » Adelaide
March 29th 2014
Published: March 29th 2014
Edit Blog Post

WOMADELAIDE 2014...Music is the Weapon of Choice.

Her song was the Anthem of the Arab Spring..."Kelmti Horra"..."My word is Free"...ringing through the streets of Tunisia...her name Emel Mathlouthi.

His journey was exploring and preserving the drum culture of his people...his music inspiring the disenfranchised indigenous peoples of West Papua...his band Airileke.

His life was to continue the vision of his father Fela Kuti...their music Afrobeat...uniting the masses in protesting corruption and poverty in his beloved Nigeria...who opened the 2010 Football World Cup in South Africa...the elder son...who else but Femi Kuti.

Where would you hear such messages in music?

Womadelaide 2014...that's where.

And what do these artists...these songsters in culture have in common?

Their music is embraced with power...with the maxim:

"Music is our Weapon of Choice."

*****



Music that crosses racial divides...ministers to the soul...embraces emotions...bringing people together...collectivism...popularity...masses in one voice...thus threats to governance and control...standing together in united song.

Music has power...unites the people...and despotic governments know it.



As Emel Mathlouthi from Tunisia puts it:

"My song is the homage for the pen and the paper and the art...as the main power against repression."


And

"Music that has spoken to my homeland and the Arab world...as the catalyst for political action."



And Femi Kuti from Nigeria:

"My music is Afrobeat...the weapon of the future."



*****



The American alternative
SPEAKSPEAKSPEAK

Lead singer of Arrested Development
hip-hop band Arrested Development...celebrating 20 years together...another hot act at Womadelaide.

Their song "Let Your Voice Be Heard"

"Beautiful people around the world

Stand up for what you believe in

Open up your mouth

Say it aloud and proud

let your voice be heard"



If there is a message to reach the people...who better than musicians to convey it?

*****



Emel Mathlouthi

Kelmti Horra...My Word is Free...(English translation)

The words are so powerful...no wonder this became the Anthem of the Arab Spring...Revolution in Tunisia.

Dwell a while...and be transported.

"I am those who are free and never fear...I am the secrets that will never die

I am the voice of those who would not give in...I am the meaning amid the chaos.

I am the right of the oppressed...that is sold by these dogs

Who rob the people of their daily bread...and slam the door in the face of ideas.

I am those who are free and never fear...I am the secrets that will never die

I am the voice of those who will not give in...I am free and my word is free

I am free and my word is free.

Don't forget the price of bread...and don't forget the cause of our misery

And don't forget who betrayed us in our time of need.

I am those who are free from fear...I am the secrets that will never die

I am the voice who would not give in.

I am the secret of the red rose...whose colour the years toned

Whose scent the rivers buried...and who sprouted as fire

Calling those who are free.

I am the star shining in the darkness...I am a thorn in the throat of the oppressor

I am a wind touched by fire...I am the soul of those not forgotten

I am the voice of those who have not died.

I make clay out of steel...and build with it a new love

That becomes birds...that becomes homes...that becomes wind and rain.

I am all the free people of the world put together...I am like a bullet

I am all the free people of the world put together...I am like a bullet."



Imagine revolution...imagine
MARIAMARIAMARIA

Arrested Development
thousands in the streets...anguishing in united voice...singing these words...singing for a new tomorrow...then see it as reality...My Word is Free...My Word is Free.

*****



Airileke

One of the delights of Womadelaide is Speakers Corner...where some of the artists are interviewed before an audience and tell their stories.

Airi, Ronny & Malcolm from the band Airileke thus told their's.

"Rise of the Morning Star" is a project...a movement...whereby artists and musicians carry the voice of the people of West Papua...the western side of that massive island returned to the indigenous people when the Dutch vacated the Dutch East Indies...then annexed by Indonesia...and settled with intent so now the indigenous peoples are in the minority.

Their website... Rize.com ...epitomises the struggle of West Papua.

As Airi explains:

"How powerful, effective and important is music in non violent resistance. Music is our weapon of choice."


And to confirm the point their album is titled "Music is the Weapon of Choice"...a potent blend of traditional rhythms and electronica from PNG, West Papua, Torres Strait and Australia.

As Airi further explains:

"Freedom of expression in West Papua is suppressed. If the State sees musicians as a threat, they are imprisoned...because music is very powerful and a threat to the State.
AIRILEKEAIRILEKEAIRILEKE

Airi, Ronny & Malcolm
It is important to maintain identity through culture and music and to keep it alive."

By way of example, The Black Brothers Band from PNG became the most popular band in Indonesia...selling out stadiums...thus freaking out the State...forcing them to flee to PNG then Holland and linked with revolution in Vanuatu.

By the Lombok Treaty, Australia remains quiet on the West Papuan issue...the world ignoring or impotent.

Airi says:

"But at Womadelaide, all nations and cultures are flying their flags. They are not defined by political boundaries and nations, but cultures and many identities in Australia...how we maintain our sovereinty, identity, nationhood...not about nations but about our individuals."

*****



The best gig on the planet

Gotta live up to my name...but not wanting to be known as just a dancer...no sirree...gotta wide variety of skills in my quiver...can't just dance with potent causes...I'm here to enjoy the music...and to capture this festival with my lens.



Musicians from Indonesia, PNG, Iraq, Sweden, Norway, Spain, USA, Pakistan, Australia, Scotland, Guinea, Portugal, France, UK, Reunion, Tunisia, New Zealand, Nigeria, China, Mongolia, Columbia, Belgium, Austria, India, Bulgaria, Zimbabwe, Japan, Algeria and Cuba...over
HANGGAIHANGGAIHANGGAI

Mongolian Rock
500 performers...countless stories...irrepressible rhythms...the World in song.

Womadelaide's 26th year...88,000 patrons over 4 days & nights...over 500 musicians/performers...7 stages...catering for every taste...gotta be the best gig on the planet.



Denise as the Media Representative for Travelblog...and me as her Photographer.

But where to start...luckily able to meet some of the artists before the festival opened in the Media Call...and some of the talented team that makes Womadelaide the best of its kind.

Here's to the Womadelaide team...talent and dedication in spades.

******



Media call opened by indigenous owners of the land...a Kauma Welcome.

Then a couple of songs from Emel Mathlouthi...disappearing backstage for a gracious chat with me...joined by One Love from the USA hip hop band Arrested Development...my name is Spencer he said...but I preferred his stage name...Emel twirling...already the Festival buzzing...and it hasn't opened yet!!!

Out the back lining up at the gate were some guys in yellow with wheelie bins...so I waited for them to go through...little knowing they were not maintenance but Cie Fracasse de 12 "HOP" from France with a wicked dance routine that caught everyone's attention.

Ruby Dhatura...Evangeline & Tricia in belly dance finery...Matthew their drummer...Tricia flashing her Tuareg cross...won me over...dreaming of dancing with the Tuaregs again at Timbuktu.

A large contingent of men in subcontinent garb...just lying around...then rising as one to chat with me. Asif Ali Khan from Pakistan, the renowned master of Qawwali music...with his band...Sufi religious music. The best music is in Lahore he tells me...promising if I come to Pakistan he will take me to the best places for music in his country...mmm...where's my diary?

George the manager for Carminho...exciting delights of Portuguese Fado to come...my kinda music...one of the first LPs I owned in my youth was Fado with two Portuguese guitars...used to play it on sunny mornings...no better way to greet the day.

And who are these funky Chinese guys...ah...from Yunnan Provence...been there twice...the band Shan Ren...jumping out of my skin in anticipation for the festival to start.

Mike from Festivals Australia for a yarn and some laughs.

Who is that band practicing just there? Mookoomba from Zimbabwe...great rhythms...winning smiles.

Many kindred spirits descending on Adelaide...yep...let the festivities begin.



Day One - Friday

Kauma Welcome from the indigenous owners of the land.

Mookoomba from the Tonga tribe of Northern Zimbabwe...hailed as the future of Afrosound...cool cats in cool suits.

Los Coronos from Spain...1970s Spanish disco surf style...big white cowboy hats...blew me away when their cover for Bliiy Thorpe & the Aztecs' Poison Ivy was 'Poison Nares Ivy'.

Buika from Guinea/Spain now USA...compared by some with Nina Simone...a sit down only show

Time to liven things up...the rock gods from Mongolia...Hanggai...missed them in 2012...not missing them this time.

One of my favourite musos is Teng Ge from Mongolia...his music inspiring me on one of my trips to China...hint hint...love to see Teng Ge in OZ some day!!!

But Hanggai are from a different planet...rock meets throat singing meets metal meets horse head fiddle...gutsy music from the steppes...getting the groove...yeh.

Need a breather...something surreal...Slow Dancing (After Dark)...hyper slow motion video on 3 adjoining screens of superb dancers by David Michalek from USA...quiet part of the Botanic Gardens every night...10 out of 10.

Up the front for Fat Freddys Drop from New Zealand...big band reggae to rap to funk...massive squeeze of younger patrons...great show...brilliant.

Les Gitans Blanc...Romanian gypsy swing...no better way to close the night.

*****



Day Two - Saturday

Another highlight of Womadelaide are workshops...musicians explaining their craft and culture to an audience.

Ruby Dhatura Belly Dance to start the day.

When they announced that "Dancing Dave is here" and pointed me out...had a feeling I may have to shake my booty and strut my stuff...on your feet...feeling then reality.

The troup dazzled with a show then audience getting into belly dance moves from around the globe...amazing how many of the women picked it up just like that...shimmering away...while the token blokes...well our hips do not have the same flexibility...Evangeline and the troup smiling and encouraging throughout...lots of fun but this dancer ain't no belly dancer!

Got some pics of Ruby Dhatura with Mookoomba...great to see artists from different cultures getting together.





Azadoota from Iraq...pop rock, Latin rhythms, funk & reggae with Assyrian Neo-Aramaic vocals...reviving an ancient language with modern joyful rhythms...colour added with Ruby Dhatura dancers twirling in front of stage.

Then down to Speakers Corner for Airileke in Artists in Conversation.

Jeff Lang from Australia...that enigma of modern blues...his Churchill lap guitar sizzling with exotic sound...been following Jeff for many years now.

A workshop with Carminho...explaining the world of Fado in Portugal...more like a lifestyle of storytelling for the common man in song.

Wandering around after that...getting ready for the night.

Shan Ren from China...looking forward to these guys...thought they'd be cool cats and they did not disappoint. Electric guitars and traditional instruments with Yunnan vibe and infectious grooves...audience dancing in front...one of my highlights of the festival.

Up the front for Mookoomba from Zimbabwe at 8pm...these young men certainly know how to put on a show...southern African rhythms quite different to the West African and North African I am familiar with.

Airileke laying out the rhythms of Music as the Weapon of Choice.

Then another squeeze up the front for Arrested Development from USA from 10 to 11.30pm.

Hip hop is not really my thing...blues & rock roots for this dancer...but this band really know how to put on a show...Speak on vocals with One Love chiming in for the occasional rap...two sensational female vocalists...one scoring as the prettiest & funkiest I have ever seen...kinda made it impossible to tear myself away to see Awesome Tapes from Africa that was on my must see list.

Then Asif Ali Khan closing the night with Sufi music to 1 a.m...everyone will sleep well tonight.



Day 3 - Sunday

Got a call from an English couple that we had met and partied with in the icy ancient city of Pingyao in Northern China years past...now living on the coast south of Adelaide...so kinda a no brainer to have a reunion.

Fantastic to spend the day with Nick & Dianne & their two girls.

Tour of the beaches and Clare Valley and their beachside home.

One of the joys of travelling is meeting folks with shared interests and keeping in touch...little effort to do so...major benefits when you do.

*****



Got back to Womadelaide just in time for Femi Kuti from Nigeria in Speakers Corner for Artists in Conversation.

Of the artists this year, Femi is the one I had earmarked to speak to...to hear his message:



"There seems to be no place for my dream...to see peace, love and happiness without corruption.

Life seems to be getting very sad and its very depressing.

Music has the power to reverse bad issues and we need to keep talking about these issues.

Things seem to be getting worse and that's serious.

But while we are still alive we must fight and never give up hope.

Life spiritually is a balance. Never leave the bad guy to be victorious. We must allow the voice of the people to be out there.

Never let terrorism live. If we give up the world will falter...and we can't allow that...so there is always hope.

My music is Afrobeat...the weapon of the future...to challenge the authorities...the dictatorship in Nigeria...to use the music as our weapon."

*****



He spoke of the Shrine...the enclave his father had built for his family and his music. His father who had been imprisoned and tortured many times but persisted in his protests against corruption through his music.

The land they thought they owned was only leased...rights dying with his father.

So the family bought land from the royalties and rebuilt the Shrine and continued playing the music..."using music as our praying force"...masses coming to listen...entry fees minimal so the jobless could come.

But the Government had other ideas.

For a number of years all efforts were made to silence the music...to prevent people coming to hear the music.

For 3 years all people that came to the Shrine were arrested and many were flogged.

Femi got the World Press to protest and reopen the Shrine.

As a result the last government raid was in 2008...the Shrine reopened and there have been no raids since.

The government built a museum for Fela Kuti's memory...now supports annual festivals.

Houses, hotels, businesses, event centres and a market have now been built around the Shrine.

*****



But corruption persists. Nigeria has so much prosperity (from oil), but there is so much poverty.

He rates Nigeria as the number one terrorist hotspot in the world.

Femi says there are more luxury cars passing in a minute than in UK...but the majority of the people are poor.

To put it in perspective Femi says:

"Poverty is not an African problem...it is a universal global problem...requiring a global fight."



*****



The atmosphere in Speakers Corner had been heavy for over an hour as Femi told his story.

Now its my turn...microphone handed to me...asking Femi the following
PORTUGUESE GUITARPORTUGUESE GUITARPORTUGUESE GUITAR

Gotta love it
question:



"I am Dancing Dave from Travelblog.

We are a worldwide community of travellers.

Femi Kuti is in Adelaide at the moment and Seun Kuti is touring Australia in April.

Our members want to know two things...

Firstly, Where to find the music in Nigeria?

and

Secondly, if they go to the Shrine, will they be welcome and will they be safe?"



Femi's demeanour lifted...like heaviness had been lifted from his heart...becoming animated and cheerful.

"You can find the music anywhere...you can find it everywhere" he said...getting carried away...having to bring him back to my second question.

"If they come to the Shrine, they will have the time of their lives" he replied enthusiastically.

"They will be safe. In Lagos there is no safer place than the Shrine."

He told of the Afrobeat Festival in October each year at the Shrine beckoning for all to come and gave the website. I think he said it ran from 10pm to 7am each evening during the festival.

On that uplifting note the interview ended and a smiling Femi Kuti disappeared into the night.

*****
THE PLANET TALKSTHE PLANET TALKSTHE PLANET TALKS

Speakers Corner with Femi Kuti




Scrambling to find my diary...been planning to go to Baaba Maal's Festival on the River in Senegal...that's each December...Somehow need to find the time to visit Femi Kuti's Festival in Nigeria in October...and we're booked for a Blues Cruise in the Caribbean next January...fearful I'll find another festival that's a must before Womadelaide 2014 is over.

Hope I can sleep tonight!!!

*****



Emel Mathlouthi again at 9pm...her voice is breathtaking...further chat when signing her CD "Kelmti Horra"...best CD I picked up at the festival...can't stop playing it.

Her calling as "A voice of jasmine...a messenger of freedom."

Ending a busy day with Rachid Taha from Algeria...energetic North African rock...singing one song over & over as we drifted back to our hotel.

*****



Day 4 - Monday

When attending the Festival in the Desert at Timbuktu, Mali in 2011...a man walked into our encampment and walked right up to me and said "Excuse me are you David Hooper?"

Blow me over with a feather...its Peter Jensen...a classmate from Sydney 40 years before.

So I invited him to the wedding. See Our Tuareg Wedding...Festival Au Desert...Timbuktu, Mali

Peter lives in Adelaide...so our reunion was today.

He was busy catching up with the music so we arranged to catch up late arvo/early evening.

*****



Had to catch Antonio Serrano from Spain...mooted as the best harmonica player in the world...dazzling skills...variety of styles...his Sonny Boy Williamson tracks blowing me away...then encore with his brother...very special.

We desperate to see Carminho from Portugal...Portuguese, accoustic & bass guitars backing the Fado songstress...serious evocative vocals...just love that Portuguese guitar...definitely one of my favourite instruments.

Caught up with Peter & his wife Rosie...gorging ourselves on kebabs and ice cream...and stories of the music.

They wanted to see Dub Inc from France and Billy Bragg from UK so we split up to see Roberto Fonseca on piano from Cuba who had a guy on kora from Mali in his band...Cuba meets Mali...gotta see that.

Some things are meant to be.

We headed over early to get a good spot for Femi Kuti and the Positive Force from Nigeria to close the festival...got front row...right in front of the gap between Femi's keyboard and percussion.

When this mega Show kicked off Femi did a track on
ONE LAST BOWONE LAST BOWONE LAST BOW

Femi Kuti
sax then sang...to Denise & I...bending right down...eyeballing us between gyrations...as if he recognised us from the interview before...just for one track...but what a track!

Ninety minutes of extraordinary energy...three female dancers & singers in pink shaking their booties...band rocking the stage...thousands enthralled late into the night.

Gotta get my breath...ramming home the message.

Undeniable..."Music is the Weapon of Choice".

Where else but at Womadelaide?

Can't wait to see what goodies they lay on for us next year.



Relax & Enjoy,

Dancing Dave



PLEASE NOTE: There are pages of photos. Scroll to the foot of each page and click Next.

























.


Additional photos below
Photos: 147, Displayed: 36


Advertisement

ONE LOVEONE LOVE
ONE LOVE

Arrested Development USA
CARMINHOCARMINHO
CARMINHO

Portugal
DENISE & MIKEDENISE & MIKE
DENISE & MIKE

Travelblog meets Festivals Australia


29th March 2014

What an exhausting 4 days...but if you want to rest stay at home!
One of the reasons I love Australia is that we are so isolated & therefore relatively safe from strife. One of the reasons I love Womedelaide is to hear the voice of others and what better way to hear that than through music & song. So thank you Dancing One for presenting those memories so vibrantly.
29th March 2014

What an exhausting 4 days...but if you want to rest stay at home!
So true Denise. How lucky are we to to hear these stories in song and meet these messengers from many cultures in the safety of a music festival. But Womadelaide is so much more than a music festival. It is a total package catering for tastes of all ages...with the World being the stage...the ultimate travel experience.
30th March 2014
MARIA

Yowsie--what energy!
The words, photos, messages--so inspiring! I love Sufi music, fado, African drums, throat singing and so much more, especially when the message is freedom--"My Word Is Free." The real question is how could you choose among such delicious offerings. I guess you just have to keep going back to hear them all. Until next year...
30th March 2014
MARIA

Yowsie--what energy!
Hi Tara. Glad the message is reaching you in Bolivia. So much more than music this year...hope the message is heard everywhere. Until next year...
31st March 2014

Music is your weapon of choice
Absolutely magnificent Dave - what a wonderful opportunity to be there and mix with kindered spirits (including the wonderfully named Emel Twirling) to interview music leaders and to become a bigger part of Womadelaide. Your photos are sensational and coupled with your passionate writing ensures that you do a tremendous job in brandishing your weapon of music to the world, that has introduced people like me to the exciting and exotic tapestry that makes world music so intoxicating.
31st March 2014

Music is your weapon of choice
Many thanks Shane...from Malaysia to Dubai. Definitely "the exciting and exotic tapestry that makes world music so intoxicating" (quote from the Travel Camel). I just hope that the message gets out there and makes a difference in many peoples' lives.
10th June 2014

Your weapons of choice
Going to a WOMAD festival is like having the world travel to you - you've done a great job here Dancing One of sharing the WOMAD excitement with your weapons of choice, words and images. I still reckon this would be the ultimate TB meetup...
10th June 2014

Your weapons of choice
I'm glad you have read this blog Jo...you being at Womad NZ last year. The ultimate TB meetup? Womadelaide 2015 awaits you...we'll be there!

Tot: 0.139s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 12; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0588s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb