Queensland cont...


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland
October 29th 2007
Published: November 13th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Eli CreekEli CreekEli Creek

I had to catch a lift cos it was too deep for my stumpy legs!
Hello everyone,

been quite busy bees since the last blog entry. We went scuba diving from 1770 to Hoskins Reef. It took 2 hours to get there and I vomited in front of everyone on the boat but it was very worth it. We were the only boat in sight all day and the reef was completely undamaged by tourists. We saw stingrays, Nemo fish, sea cucumbers etc etc. Unfortunately we didn't get to see a turtle but I did see 2 sharks and the 2nd one was as big as me. I was a bit of a wimp -I panicked and swam back to the boat as fast as I could!! Glynn didn't see it and wanted to swim after it but I did not share his enthusiasm (or stupidity might be more appropriate!) for that task!

Next stop was a small beach called Bagara (near Bundaberg). It was a bit off the beaten track, quite small and quiet but very pretty. We had the beach to ourselves with the exception of a few locals. We spent the whole morning 'catching the waves' (admittedly on a body board rather than a surfboard!) Lots of fun.

Then drove
Glynn up a Strangler Fig on Fraser IslandGlynn up a Strangler Fig on Fraser IslandGlynn up a Strangler Fig on Fraser Island

This photo was taken before we learned that tarantulas and some of the world's most poisonous snakes also like to live in these trees!
to Hervey Bay and took a boat trip to see the humpback whales. It was amazing, we saw lots of whales, mainly mothers and their calves. The calves were about 3 weeks old and very playful. They often jumped completely out of the water and at 3-4m in length and weighing 1 tonne it was quite a sight. The mothers are 15m long. Have got lots of lovely photos of this but had a very annoying problem with our memory stick so we're unable to retrieve and publish them so we apologise for the gap and delay in our blogs and photos!

Spent 3 days at Fraser Island which was the highlight of Australia so far. It's the biggest sand island in the world so you have to drive over it in a 4WD bus which was bumpy to say the least! Glynn described it as like being on a theme park ride for 3 days straight -we loved it.... until we got stuck in the sand and all 16 of us had to get out and push. Saw a wild dingo. Again, we had loads of amazing photos of the Island to show you but we can only publish a few.

Other stops included Rainbow Beach, Tin Can Bay (hand fed wild dolphins), Eumundi, Caloundra. Also went to Australia Zoo which was a really good day out.

In Brisbane at the moment. Missing you all.

lots of love

Lisa and Glynn xx





Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Australia ZooAustralia Zoo
Australia Zoo

Phew, that was a close escape! (apparently they do get this big)
My new pet!My new pet!
My new pet!

I liked the wombats at Australia Zoo so much that I decided to take one home with me!
Rainbow BeachRainbow Beach
Rainbow Beach

At the top of a huge sandblow


Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0394s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb