Waltzing Winton


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Winton
October 24th 2013
Published: October 24th 2013
Edit Blog Post

You would almost think there was inter-community rivalry on the Matilda Highway as to who got what when. Cloncurry, Winton and Longreach, for example, are the home of QANTAS so it seems.

There appears to be less competition for the ownership of the song Waltzing Matilda, well, the words specifically. The tune? Well there are several explanations as to the music and its origin.

Central to Winton's commercial life is the Matilda Centre. We were not sure what to expect, but it sure engaged us for more than half a day.

The Matilda Centre, while giving the story of Australia's alternate anthem, also houses a very diverse museum from the district.

The lesson for the day for us was the expression 'Waltzing Matilda'. Did you think it was a dance with Matilda? Well, it was kind of but not as you think. Through local slang and a heap of other explanations, the Matilda was in fact the roll the swagman carried - his life possessions. The Waltz described their tracking from town to town, station to station in search of work.

The billabong scene in the Matilda Centre is pretty good and gives something of the songs history and events a little north of Winton that are thought to have prompted the poem.

There is a very neat hologram display with (the late) Slim Dusty, John Williamson and others talking about the Australian outback life. Really sell done diorama with hologram characters walking about, and even lighting a fire and lantern.

There is no doubt that you come away from the centre with a real sense of both the hardships and camaraderie of these outback folk and their very survival in this arid land.

There are several more displays from the past demonstrating the changes in the community over the last 150 years.

Now the best part of the Matilda Centre is their Iced Coffee. We ordered lunch including iced coffee - a sensible thing to do when the temps are over 40c. They arrived, a very well dressed tall coffee, and Marg thanked the girl. She said - wait, there is more. Next came a large milk shake container with iced coffee to top up the drink. Marg struggled with the total volume, but in the end consumed 90%. I was with some serious arm twisting, persuaded to drain the milk shake. Any way, Winton can claim the best iced coffee in Australia title for 2013!!!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement

Life blood of the outbackLife blood of the outback
Life blood of the outback

All these outback Qld towns rely on water from the great artesian basin, pumped up and into tanks using wind mill driven pumps.


25th October 2013

Queensland is Qantas territory...
Queensland And Northern Territories Air Service...or so I have been led to believe. I've been enjoying you trip...almost home!
26th October 2013

QANTAS
The early dream was for small centres across Queensland and Northern Territory as their name indicates. Then for a period they traded QANTAS Empire Airways, but the QANTAS name is the one that has stuck.
25th October 2013

Another good effort
What strides and progress has been made since these vehicles were first on the road. Life was at a much slower pace then time to take a breath and relax then.

Tot: 0.278s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 25; qc: 174; dbt: 0.1997s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.5mb