Whitsunday Sailing - Day 2


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Whitsundays
January 20th 2012
Published: February 13th 2012
Edit Blog Post

We were first up in the morning – we had to be as we were sleeping on the dining table where breakfast was to be served! Breakfast was plentiful with a selection of cereals, yoghurts, fruit, toast and pastries.

After a hearty breakfast it was time to be introduced to our wet suits which had to be worn at all times that we were in the sea. This was the time of year for ‘Stingers’ (box jellyfish) that would very likely kill you if they stung you. So we donned our fetching wet suits and then climbed into the dinghy that transported across to Whitsunday Island. Once on the Island we walked through the forest up to the ridge where we had views across Whitehaven beach. On the walk through the jungle we got a little closer to nature than any of us really wanted as we all came out with multiple mosquito bites from the 10 minute walk, and those at the front of the group very nearly walked head first into a spider bigger than the palm of my hand!! We also saw a few ghekkos and other insects on the walk, but they paled in significance after the spider.

We made our way through the bush clearing onto Whitehaven beach and the incredible views of the crystal clear ocean. The sand on Whitehaven is so fine it actually feels like flour and had actually can be used for polishing jewellery. We had a couple of hours to enjoy on the beach before having to get back to the boat so we headed straight into the sea, where we were greeted by Rays and Reef sharks swimming happily amongst all the people. We also saw a jellyfish washed up on the beach but I don’t think it was one of the box jelly fish as they only have tenticles coming off from 4 corners, rather than having tenticles all around.

After a few hours soaking up the beauty of Whitehaven, it was time to walk back through the forest to our waiting Catamaran on the other side of the Island. Back on the boat we had morning tea – juice and lamingtons as we sailed over to our first snorkel spot of the day. It was a an hour or 2 sail across to our first snorkel spot, once there we were free to jump straight in and swim amongst the tropical fishes and coral reef. There were all kinds of fish that we spotted, some the size of your little finger and others nearly the size of a human! There was also a paddle board and a clear kayak which we were able to use. After some time swimming amongst the fishes we all had a turn in the clear kayak which magnified the coral reef and fish below you so it almost felt like you were going to run aground at points.

Once back on board we had a spot of lunch as we spent a couple of hours sailing over to the next snorkel spot. At the second snorkel spot, the catamaran had to dock about 100 metres out from the best snorkel spot as the coral was so high in the water, so we could either swim over ourselves or we could get the dinghy across and jump in from there. There were a few other boats also snorkelling in this area but the coral covered a large area so there was plenty of room to swim amongst the fish. After a little time snorkelling we headed back to the boat to dry off and relax before dinner. This was when we discovered the abundance of Marsh Flies – the captain gave us a good tip which was that if you kill them they let off a smell that attracts more Marsh Flies so instead you should pull off their wings and throw them in the water. Sounds evil, but if you had been there you would have happily done the same to get rid of them! Once the sun went down the flies disappeared so we could enjoy dinner of Lasagne in peace. In fact Will even enjoyed seconds and thirds!

The evening was spent playing drinking games and chatting with the others on the boat. Will was once again last man standing, but found his way to bed by midnight.


Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



Tot: 0.123s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 41; dbt: 0.0836s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb