Finding The Frog


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Warwick
October 6th 2011
Published: October 6th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Tuesday 4th October – For the first time since the day after Boxing Day last year we woke up surrounded by bricks and mortar. We had spent a few nights in a cabin in Bunbury, Western Australia way back in early May but apart from that, we have been sleeping in the caravan – Sweetie – since Christmas time at Daphne’s in Melbourne. David’s house in Warwick, Queensland is very comfortable and I’m sure we’ll thoroughly enjoy the homeliness of a house for a week or so before we hit the road again. The weather this morning is bright, calm and sunny but the forecast for the next few days is not good. So today I was anxious to get some washing done using David’s brand new, state of the art washing machine. What a delightful change to be able to use a machine without having to put three or four dollars in, as we have been used to doing in caravan park laundries. Once the washing was on the line we went to the caravan to retrieve a couple of things we’d forgotten. Graham was a little concerned about the spot we had left it – the same place as
Sweetie moved away from the treesSweetie moved away from the treesSweetie moved away from the trees

just in case the forecast wet weather includes high winds
last year but with some strong winds likely in the next couple of days, the tall surrounding gum trees looked a bit menacing, particularly a few old, dead looking branches. So once we’ve done our shopping and had lunch we may return to the caravan and shift it to a less vulnerable spot. Shopping was a delight. Warwick is an excellent place for shopping with a good variety of shops, including a Woolies and a Big W, which are easily accessible with an abundance of nearby parking. I was able to leave my underwater camera for processing at Big W as I have been carrying it with me waiting for a suitable opportunity since I took the last underwater photo back in Coral Bay in June. Many places I’ve enquired at “en route” wanted days for processing and on occasions wanted to send the camera away so I was determined to hang on to it until a more practical opportunity arose. Big W in Warwick said they would have them ready and on a CD within an hour – amazing!!

We went back to the house for some lunch and then on to the caravan to collect a few more things. Graham liked the location of the caravan even less this time so he moved it to a more “open” spot. Back down in town I went to collect my CD from Big W and bought a couple more things while I was there. We dashed back to the house to play my CD and another one of our manta ray exploits which we’d ordered and which had been sent on to David’s house. They were both great and although some of my underwater photography left a bit to be desired I was really pleased with most of my efforts. The CD from the manta ray trip was excellent although not all of the photos were taken on the day of our trip. But we were thrilled with them and they will be a great memento in years to come of a truly fabulous experience. The rest of the afternoon was spent planning our activities for the next few days although we’ll have to make allowances for the poor weather forecast. We also spent some time arranging David’s Skype access so that we will be able to maintain closer communications with him when we resume our travels. We had a lovely surprise too when our dear acquaintance, David’s close friend, Mele, called round to see us. Arrangements were in hand to see her on Friday but it was a real delight to see her today. Later, David rustled up another great dinner this time using tofu patties followed by yet more apple crumble and custard. We’ll definitely have to work out a fitness routine if this sort of hospitality continues.

Wednesday 5th October we had identified as the day to go searching for a frog!! When we were in Warwick before it had coincided with a sculpture symposium. Most of the sculptures created during the fortnight event were auctioned off. But some of them had been specially commissioned for display in and around Warwick. One particular piece had attracted a lot of attention as it was of a Fleay’s Barred Frog, an endangered species. The sculpture was magnificent and was to be placed in the Goomburra area of Main Range National Park about 50 kilometers away from Warwick. Today we were going to look for it. We didn’t get away particularly early but, armed with a picnic lunch, and with some specific directions from David, we headed towards Brisbane before turning off the main road at Gladfield. Signs for Goomburra and the National Park were good as we meandered quietly through “horsey” country for several kilometres.

Eventually we reached Goomburra and the road for the National Park. It wasn’t as remote as I had anticipated as all the way up the valley towards the park were farming properties, both arable and cattle, together with adventure camping opportunities, rural “retreats” and even a 4WD challenge course. After about 40 kilometers the road became gravel and the area took on more of a “National Park” feel as we went over a few creeks and spotted some interesting wildlife. We came to a junction with signs for a picnic area and lookouts one way and a campground and tourist information the other. We headed for the tourist information but then, out of the corner of my eye, I spotted the frog. We were able to change direction easily enough and made our way down to the picnic area where the sculptured frog had been placed. It is in a well-chosen spot and looked splendid in its special location. Fleay’s Barred Frog is still found in the area but we didn’t see any. Time had gone on so we decided to have our picnic in this lovely spot and chose a table right next to a small creek. We thought we had been particularly clever to espy a colourful female satin bower-bird and then even more clever to spot its male partner. But as soon as we started on our sandwiches, three pairs of satin bower-birds appeared as if from no-where hoping for a feed. Signs discouraged the feeding of birds and animals so we resisted the temptation but the odd crumb that fell to the ground was soon gobbled up by these beautiful birds – they didn’t seem intimidated by our presence at all. We’d never seen these fantastic birds before but our excitement at seeing them for the first time was diminished a bit by their willingness to be seen grovelling for food almost within touching distance. We were also surrounded by a family of curiwongs, who although larger, were slightly less ‘pushy’.

After our lunch we continued past the picnic area in the direction of the lookouts. We had to cross the Dalrymple Creek which, for a 4WD was no problem. But earlier we had watched while a small car came through the creek hitting some small boulders in its path with the chassis several times before making it across. The road became narrow, steep and winding although the steeper sections had been sealed so progress was easy. The first sign we came across was a walking track to Araucaria Falls. The distance to the falls was a bit more of a walk than we wanted so we drove on past until we reached the first of two car parks. The first one gave access to Sylvester’s Lookout with a walk of just 470 meters so we decided we would do that on the return journey, saving our energy for what might be a longer walk at the next one. As it happens, the walk to Mount Castle Lookout, a drive of about four more kilometres, was only 480 meters so we parked up and began the walk. The track wasn’t altogether obvious but, in the event, it was the only possible way through the dense rain forest that enveloped the area. It was quite a tricky walk which involved clambering over exposed tree roots and also involved a steep climb towards the end. But the views of Castle Rock and the distant Fassifern Valley were stunning. The sign suggested that, on a clear day it is possible to see as far as the coast, but today was misty and not helped by a series of bush fires in the distance that reduced the visibility somewhat. But the walk was exhilarating and, the presence of wildlife that we could clearly hear but struggled to see, was intriguing. Back at the car we drove to the Sylvester’s Lookout and managed the marginally shorter walk with ease. It was also a slightly easier walk although, again, the path wasn’t obvious – we just went where the foliage was less dense. The outlook here was also stunning but without Castle Rock, so we had an un-interrupted view of the Fassifern Valley.

After the walks we drove warily back towards the picnic area, taking our time in case we met another vehicle on this narrow, winding and often very steep track. After getting back across Dalrymple Creek we drove to the campgrounds where, conveniently, there were some toilets. Neither of the campgrounds had any occupants so we found a particularly nice spot, again by the creek, to partake of afternoon tea. We had no wildlife harassing us this time although we could see plenty of smaller birds – mainly fairy wrens – on the other side of the creek. We kept our eyes open for the illusive platypus but we were unlucky. With time passing by we began our return journey towards Warwick, spotting a bright coloured Monarch bird on the way. We arrived back at David’s at about 4:30pm and reflected on what had started as a simple picnic outing but which had become a truly enjoyable day. David produced yet another of his healthy option dinners – a rice based vegetarian meal this time – and afterwards I settled down with the computer, sorting out photos, while Graham had an evening out with his friends from the Warwick Folk Club at the famous O’Mahoneys Hotel.

The weather forecast for Thursday 6th October hadn’t been good and, sure enough, we awoke to cloudy skies which soon began to produce rain. Because of the forecast, we didn’t plan anything special for today but there was a bit of shopping that needed to be done and a couple more things that we wanted to retrieve from the caravan. Shopping in Warwick is no hassle although the rain became a bit of a nuisance. Unfortunately the weather didn’t improve at all so we spent the rest of the day just pottering about (Graham had a snooze for most of the afternoon) and I helped David with the making of another apple crumble. The evening meal was oven baked salmon with veggies in parsley sauce followed by apple crumble and custard. Life back in the caravan will take some getting used to after this.



Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement

David's all singing, all dancing new washing machineDavid's all singing, all dancing new washing machine
David's all singing, all dancing new washing machine

which was very efficient and even got our very grubby socks looking white again!


Tot: 0.089s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 9; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0539s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb