Singing For Their Supper


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Warwick
December 10th 2010
Published: December 14th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Monday morning dawned and guess what? It was still raining with poor visibility – we certainly didn’t want to stay any longer on this caravan park although we were sorry to leave the area without having explored it fully. We had previously sent David an email to say we would be on our way to Warwick within the next few days but now we had a text message from him telling us that the main road between Brisbane and Warwick was closed at the Cunningham Gap due to a landslide. Graham had already spotted this on the internet as he had logged on during the night when he couldn’t sleep because of the rain. So he had spent time working on an alternative route. But there were also potential problems with the only realistic alternative which was via Ipswich and Toowoomba and then south through Allora to Warwick. We had heard on the radio that there were many new potholes on the main highway and also that there was flooding in Allora. Together with major roadworks at Ipswich it was not a journey we were looking forward to.

Today was the first time we had had to pack up in rain and it was torrential so the awning had to go away soaking wet. Graham had to wind up the four supporting legs of the caravan and then spend time disconnecting the mains water and the waste water. In no time at all he was soaked. The old anorak that Sarah and Darryl had left was fine for a while but was soon wet through. Next the electric cable was dis-connected and then we had to connect the car to the caravan which seemed to take an age because the approach was at an angle. I was also wet by now and poor Graham was absolutely saturated but after that he still had to put the bikes on the bike-rack and secure them. Then I got wet again in the short time I stood outside making sure the caravan electrics were connected correctly and all the lights and indicators were working OK. I managed to dry off a little but Graham had to change most of his clothes!! Eventually, and quite early given the complications, we were on the road and tentatively descending the steep hill back down to the main highway.

Surprisingly the onward journey went very well and we soon found ourselves on the outskirts of Brisbane. Sat Nav directed us along the most obvious route which included a toll road over a new multi-lane bridge towards Ipswich. It was one of three toll sections we passed and we were desperate to note the payment details as the tolls are automatically registered against the vehicle rego number and there are big fines for people not paying within three days. Payments can be made over the internet or by phone. But the last time I tried by phone there was a voice recognition system which obviously didn’t understand my Wiltshire accent when I was pronouncing P I E !!. This time I‘ll use the internet. We soon hit the roadworks at Ipswich and were embroiled in a “stop start” procession for about half an hour. But after that we made terrific progress on a very good dual carriageway connecting Ipswich with Toowoomba. We even managed a pleasant lunch stop at Marburg – a town voted “The friendliest town in Queensland” in 2008. Something must have happened since then as nobody spoke to us!!! But it had a delightful picnic area with a fascinating, small collection of old buildings together with the best kept public loos of any small town we’ve stopped at.

The onward journey towards Toowoomba was good although we were passed by a huge number of large lorries – more than usual we think - which were using the same revised route as us to avoid the closed Cunningham Gap. However, on the outskirts of Toowoomba we reached a long steep climb into the city and many of the big lorries were now crawling up the steep incline. We whizzed past some of them but then PIE began to struggle so we tucked in behind another slow moving lorry until we reached the top. The passage through Toowoomba was straightforward and we were soon on the main highway towards Warwick. Things had gone better than we expected but we were soon to be hit by a torrential storm which seemed to be going on forever. Lorries don’t seem to slow down even in appalling conditions but Graham was determined not to be harassed into going faster than was safe so we were probably a bit of a nuisance along most of the 80kms to Warwick as overtaking opportunities are few, as are “pulling in” opportunities which Graham often does to let traffic by. Throughout the journey we listened, in bits and pieces, whenever we could get a signal, to the radio commentary of the Ashes Test Match which was taking place in Adelaide. They were playing in temperatures of nearly 40˚. The Poms were doing really well although rain was forecast for the following day.

We were relieved when we finally arrived at David’s house – it had been the most unpleasant journey of our trip by a long way. Fortunately David was in so we were able to relax for a while and think about on-going arrangements. It was great to see David again and as usual he was extremely hospitable. We had a lovely meal and recounted some of our travel adventures. We left Sweetie, still connected to PIE, on the road outside the house for the night and offloaded some of our gear. We were so grateful for a dry, comfy house to sleep in for a while.

We awoke on Tuesday to a DRY day – something that we began to think might never happen again. David gave the caravan a “once-over” to help identify precisely where the leak might be located and also replaced some “pop rivets” which had disappeared from one of the hinges on the door. We then took Sweetie round to the nearby caravan park to make sure it would be okay to leave her there again for a few days. No worries mate! After that we needed to do some shopping – primarily for a good quality sealant to smother the point where we think the rainwater was seeping in. We already had a sealant “gun” amongst the many tools we were carrying so perhaps a problem had occurred before. We decided that, as the weather was now dry and warm, we would let the van stand for 24 hours or so to fully dry out before applying any new stuff. We then went to take a photo of the weir over the Condamine River which had overflowed and flooded the road which was completely closed to all traffic.

We settled back into the Warwick lifestyle so easily – it’s a lovely place to live and we will never tire of it. Nevertheless, we knew we would have to move on towards Melbourne eventually and penciled in next Saturday as the most likely day. We were aware that, further down the line, there were several places experiencing flooding difficulties so we would need to keep a close eye on the weather forecasts. As luck would have it, being back at David’s we were able to see the regular weather reports on the TV and also to watch some of the last day’s play of the Ashes Test Match which England won comfortably – go Poms!

Wednesday dawned and promised another bright and sunny day – things were looking up at last. Some washing needed doing and a few “house keeping” tasks beckoned. I had been able to hastily arrange a hair appointment so we spent some more time in Warwick. We decided that this afternoon would be an excellent time to tackle the sealing job. So after lunch, dressed in our least tidy clothes, we went to see what we could do. We’d bought a set of steps earlier on our trip and they have proved extremely useful. Today they were excellent in enabling Graham to easily get right to the nub of the problem and he soon completed a very thorough job. Obviously we now need lots of rain to test it out!!! But we’ll be happy if that never happens. On Wednesday evening Graham had it in mind to attend the regular Warwick Folk Club held at O’Mahoney’s Hotel each week. He had been twice before but this time I was able to go with him. So after a fairly early evening meal, and leaving David with all the washing up, we made our way across town to O’Mahoney’s. The place looked to be packed but that was because two separate Christmas events were also taking place. The folk club room was comparatively quiet with just a few of the regular “folkies” in attendance. Graham was treated like a long lost member and much of the first half hour was spent talking about where we’d been and what we’d been up to. Numbers remained few but soon the singing started and both the quality and variety were superb. I was so glad I was able, at last, to visit the club and see for myself what Graham has been chuntering on about all this time.

Thursday, amazingly was dry again. The weather forecast had mentioned showers and possible thunderstorms everyday but nothing occurred. It was originally intended to be a “do nothing” day but we went back to the caravan to see if the sealant had set OK and it seemed fine. David came with us and started measuring up for a new TV aerial which he had spare and which he thought would be a good addition to the caravan equipment. He seemed unperturbed by the fact that we don’t actually have a TV but we are now the proud possessors of TWO aerials – one for city reception and one for rural – together with a brilliant TV mast to attach them to. Thursday then continued to be “casual”. I prepared a few more Christmas items for posting and Graham finished mowing the bit of lawn that David was unable to complete yesterday. The garden looked quite a bit different as David had planted about 30 bushes and trees, mainly at the back where there’s loads of space, and because of the rain they all looked to be thriving. He was busying himself in the kitchen as in the evening we were expecting a dinner guest – Mele - David’s Tongan friend who was one of the group of people who had gone on his African trip and who we had spent some time with on our last visit to Warwick. At about 7:00ish Mele duly arrived with a couple of bottles of wine and a Ukele!! It seems that Mele has a musical talent and David had persuaded her to bring her Uke with her. So after a splendid dinner of turkey lasagne followed by a glorious summer pudding the entertainment began. Mele delighted us with a couple of renditions of South Sea Island songs and then played along with Graham on a couple more. David then joined the party with a surprise rendition of “Four Strong Winds” which Graham harmonized with. All songs would have gone down well at the folk club - it was a great evening.

Friday dawned – dry again – we couldn’t believe it. Most of the day was spent preparing and posting cards so we were back and forth to the shopping centre for much of the day. The city has fully engaged the Christmas spirit and the atmosphere was really good. Friday called for an early night although we did spend some time watching a recording of “Top Gear” – one of David’s favourite programmes.



Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement



15th December 2010

Hello Jan and Graham, What a lovely surprise to receive your Christmas card and your Father Christmas Photo...you make an excellent stand-in Graham. Not sure how we can send one to you, so will wish you a joyous, happy, and fun filled Christmas day with the family. No doubt David will be cooking lots of goodies and then there is Daphne's treats in the holiday period! What have you done to bring all this rain to us? With Scotland's current weather and now our rain it is all too much for even the most adventurous travelers. Hopefully the January Sunshine will dry everything and the beaches will be fun again. We too have been drying out, but nothing like your experiences. Only suffering the wet of the golf course! saturated bag, shoes and clubs, but nevertheless soldiered on until the greens were swamped and even the hole was filled so play had to be abandoned. Against the rules to putt into a waterlogged hole! Well, sorry this is brief, but will be thinking of you both on Christmas day and have a very happy New Year and then into 2011!!! xx Annette
16th December 2010

Getting back to Melbourne
NSW is not an easy place to get through at the moment. If you haven't already discovered it, this website might make your journey easier to plan: http://livetraffic.rta.nsw.gov.au/#textview. It tracks all the flooded areas as well as other traffic problems. Have a great Christmas. I look forward to following your travels next year. John.
18th December 2010

Help getting through NSW
Hi John and Sylvia, thanks for your comment. We have the technology so we do need to use it better! We've made it down to Benalla but it's still raining! Jan

Tot: 0.155s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 12; qc: 29; dbt: 0.1187s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb