Frogmarching the beach


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Surfers Paradise
December 17th 2011
Published: January 12th 2012
Edit Blog Post

What better way to spend a mid-December day than walking the full length of the beach from Mariners to Surfers, into a headwind but in broad sunshine? Emma's idea and it was brilliant - took us about 40 minutes but the views were beautiful - stunning waves crashing onto the shore as families enjoyed paddling and the seriously keen surfers and kite surfers showed off their talents in the deeper water.

Once at Surfers, it all came flooding back - this place is full of high rise apartment and hotel blocks, all with gorgeous views of the ocean, but it's really like Torremolinos, just in Australia. There's a hell of a lot of money kicking about, which might just set it apart from its Costa cousin, but in essence it's a big holiday resort. We kicked about the shops for a while, tucked into some sushi (well I did at least), then caught the courtesy shuttle bus back to the hostel. On this bus, we met Alan and Julia - Alan had travelled with Emma previously and Julia had just met Alan on the bus. However, this was enough for us to form our new little travelling gang, and even better, Julia was allocated our room, with Alan just next door.

To celebrate our new roomies and new travel buddies (we're all going to Byron together next), we cracked open another 3 bottles of wine, and set about entertaining the hostel manager (who it turns out, lives next door to our room and isn't that keen on Adele songs being wailed through the walls in the middle of the night - who'd have thought?!). We befriended two Sydney girls who played the guitar, and headed downstairs to entertain the locals heading for a Saturday night drink at the pub next door. Didn't make too many tips, but did drink too much wine. Still, the locals didn't call the police which we can all be grateful for. My head, however, would have been more thankful if we'd been sentenced to an early night - at my age, two nights on the wine - and not good wine at that - is going to lead to a disastrous hangover tomorrow. Will I ever learn?!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.132s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0757s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb