We're off again


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » St.George
September 19th 2010
Published: September 19th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Hi everyone, we are off again. Having only moved house to Dorset less than 2 weeks previously, we decided we had had enough of boxes and builders (we are having the windows replaced), so, on a whim, we booked a flight to Sydney!!

We left on Saturday 11th Sept and arrived in Melbourne lunch time Monday. 13th. Debbie met us at Belgrave station which was great. It is Ian’s 50th birthday on Sat so they are both very busy, so we decided to get out of their hair as soon as possible. The windscreen had to be replaced so Wed am we took Syd down to Ringwood and were on the road by 1pm. We headed for Taggerty, on Deb’s recommendation. This meant going right through the middle of the area devastated by the fires early 2009. It was amazing how quickly the forest has recovered. All the blackened trees are sprouting again - the leaves all fresh and very green against the black trunks. A lot of the houses are being rebuilt too, but sadly we don’t recover quite as quickly as nature.

A couple of weeks ago on our news it said that the Melbourne area was suffering the worst floods in 17 years. Unfortunately for us, the area we had been sent to was the area that had the floods, and half of the campsite was under water! It was also FREEZING cold. We had intended to stick around in the Melbourne area until Saturday and go to Ian’s party, but the weather was so bad, that we decided to celebrate with Ian later in the year, and head North to try and get some sun.

We spent the next night at Tallangatta - a town that they moved lock stock and barrel after deciding that it was in the way of Lake Hume, a huge man made lake made from damming the Murray. Then on to Parkes where the Dish (from the film of the same name) resides. We are now in St George, Queensland, and is it any warmer? NO and it is RAINING to boot! We only brought 1 pair of trousers each and 1 jumper - this is not what we expected at all!





Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.132s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 51; dbt: 0.056s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb