Ready for the pool, Rollingstone


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Rollingstone
August 21st 2010
Published: August 21st 2010
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


We are back at Rollingstone for five nights, maybe more. We booked this site on the way up and it's great, next to the pool, about 100 metres from the beach and from every window we can see water, very special.

We enjoyed our couple of days back in Cairns, had haircuts, etc. then continued south, popping in to look at little beaches on the way. We decided we'd have a night at Paranella Park which we'd visited last year on our Big Lap tour. (You can read about it in the Around Australia Trip - Sept. 11th, which is found if you click our name at the top of the page). They have an evening 'illuminations tour' around the park so we stayed in their little caravan park there and did the tour that night, wandering through the gardens and rain forest. We saw bats flying up above and brush turkeys nesting in trees ... we hadn't realised that's where they went at night. The waterfall and fountain looked particularly pretty illuminated. It had rained that morning and so was very humid, which made sleeping at night there very difficult.

The next day to Flying Fish Point at Innisfail. We realised we were on the other side of the river that we looked down on when we drove up the mountain at Innisfail going north ... we are getting to know the lay of the land. Further along the highway, we turned off to look at another waterfall - the Murray Falls - quite spectacular in that there were giant boulders at the bottom of the falls. It would have been something to see them when they were rolling down to their resting place when the grand upheaval occured way back when! Along from the falls were a couple of water holes for swimming where one French dad with his two children were enjoying a cooling dip.

And so to Forrest Beach for that night, the beach we'd discovered coming up, staying at the nice little caravan park which was right on the beach. Each stroll along the beach we'd fill our pockets as there were quite a few nice shells on the sand. I noticed little piles of shells on other camper's tables, a popular pastime. We were able to order dinner at the pub next door. We enjoyed our night there, though once again the humidity made sleeping difficult.

From Forrest Beach we stopped at Ingham to buy enough food for us to last while we are here at Rollingstone, to save having to move to shop. There are always extra people here weekends as it's an easy drive for people from Townsville and the pool is busy with children having a great time .. tomorrow it will be quiet here once more.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

view the other sideview the other side
view the other side

the pool from the dining room window
view out the backview out the back
view out the back

more beach past the palm trees


21st August 2010

What a beautiful camp site
I an really enjoying you travel blog..The photos at this camp site are "The Best" Sating longer here was a great idea
22nd August 2010

Thanks Judi - we're loving it and have such nice people around us here too.

Tot: 0.128s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0795s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb