Friday 25th February - Port Douglas


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Port Douglas
February 26th 2011
Published: February 26th 2011
Edit Blog Post

It is still raining!.
We had breakfast in the hotel restaurant (with part of the floor flooded!) and decide to take a walk into town, just a few minutes from the hotel.We walked down the main street, it becomes obvious that we are visiting Port Douglas out of season. We go to look at the beach (Four mile beach). The seawater is a brown colour not the blue that we been used to, and there is a lot of vegetation flotsam and jetsam on the beach. We are not sure if this is the result of the recent cyclone. There is a notice warning of stingers, jellyfish and crocodiles that makes a visit to the beach far from inviting!.

It is still raining!

We returned to the hotel and ate lunch there.The hotel does not have a laundry room, but a sister hotel 10 mins up the road does so we visit it to catch up on our laundry. As we finish the rain stopped and the sun made an appearance. It is amazing that as long as it is raining, it is relatively cool, as soon as it stops and the sun comes out it gets incredibly humid.

We got back to the hotel and decide to go to the hotel pool. The hotel is incredible, the rooms surround a massive pool, that also has a white sandy beach! We spent a couple of hour by the pool then swim across to the bar for happy hour to have the days cocktail. I had wanted to go on the Kuranda Scenic Railway and the Skyrail Railway cable car on Saturday, but due to the heavy rain it was closed. I booked for Sunday on the understanding that if the monsoon rains persisted it would again be cancelled.

It starts to rain again!

We had decided that due to the continuing rain we would eat in the hotel. We got showered and changed and went down to the hotel restaurant, only to find that there had been an influx of American tourists to the hotel and the restaurant was fully booked. We got a taxi into Port Douglas and ate dinner at a restaurant called Salsa. This is an Modern Australian/Asian restaurant and the food was excellent. We got a taxi back to the hotel and called it a day



Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.166s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0679s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb