The Zoo!


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Palm Cove
June 15th 2007
Published: June 15th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Fri 15th: Palm Cove - Day at Cairns Zoo
Up early and we went straight to Cairns Tropical Zoo.
Saw a few animals, especially the walk through aviary and fed the kangaroos first and then went to see the Snake show where we learned what to do if you get bitten (it differs from continent to continent), and saw a snake-eating snake. Leanne touched one, but Matt remembered what the Cobra in Thailand felt like - cold clammy rubber is how a snake feels.

The next stop was the Bird show which showed Cuckatoo’s, eagles and a few others.

Followed by a Koala show. Koala’s are boring and rubbish, and they smell, and they are ugly, and they are on Matt’s ‘Should be extinct’ list. The babies are jellybean sized and stick on the mum’s nipple till they are old enough to climb on her back.

Next was a Crocodile show with a giant croc called Cooper. Funnily enough he was found right in the creek by Naoh’s beach, right where Matt was trying to take photo’s of a croc. It was only found when a policeman was walking his dog and the dog got eaten.
Red PandaRed PandaRed Panda

They are an endangered species. They are from Nepal and no-one know's how many are left in the wild.

After that we had a bit of time to go see some animals like the Cassowary (Crazy local, but nearly extinct bird), Dingo’s, which are like Dogs but have a bit more wildness about them. They don’t have the same softness in their eyes a domestic dog does.

Then it was time for the Nepalese Red Panda Show (sometimes called a Firefox)
They are pretty cool, although the two at the zoo are getting split up soon because they are both male and a new lady red panda is coming so they are hoping for baby panda’s.
Then we went to feed the Kangaroos some more.

After the zoo we came back to Palm cove and decided to eat in a cafe rather than cooking. It was a good burger we had, then we went walking and saw a wild kangaroo in the bushes right by our campsite. Then we went beddy-byes.

Sat 16th: Cairns city
Got up, cleaned the van, took our bags to luggage storage at the airport, used the internet, wasted some more time, bought warm jumpers for New Zealand.

Basically the van had to go back at 4pm. We can’t check-in for
CrocodileCrocodileCrocodile

This one was captured near where we stayed on our first couple of nights when we slept 100m from the beach - thank god we had van and not a tent or we may have been sausage meat!
12 hours, and there’s not a lot to do. So we’re thinking of seeing Spiderman III after writing this, just to kill some time. And that was Austalia.



Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

DingoDingo
Dingo

The one sticker you always had toomany of in your Neighbours sticker album!
Dingo (Again)Dingo (Again)
Dingo (Again)

Just looks like a normal dog, not some agressive creature that needs culling!
Matt on a Fordson TractorMatt on a Fordson Tractor
Matt on a Fordson Tractor

He's still a big kid!
Leanne Feeding KangaroosLeanne Feeding Kangaroos
Leanne Feeding Kangaroos

There a bit scary compared to Wallabies as they are alot bigger!
KangarooKangaroo
Kangaroo

They can write off your car if you drive into them! Everyone except us in Oz had bull bars incase of it.
Koala BearKoala Bear
Koala Bear

Didnt get a cuddle but did stroke one - they feel a bit like a rabbit!
PotamacPotamac
Potamac

Yet another random animal.
Hairy nosed possumHairy nosed possum
Hairy nosed possum

Closely related to the Koala bear. Both smell very bad.
The famous CassowaryThe famous Cassowary
The famous Cassowary

We'd seen sign's everywhere whilst driving saying 'Slow down Cassowary's crossing' but didn't see one till we got to the zoo - they're massive!
CassowaryCassowary
Cassowary

They are an endangered species.
Leanne touching a snakeLeanne touching a snake
Leanne touching a snake

Its not the first she's touched! (there was the Python in SE Asia)
An EagleAn Eagle
An Eagle

It kept flying a centimetre over our heads - Leanne didnt like it as it eats Wallabies.


18th June 2007

red panda
hi babes hope your having a ball dont get your bloggs then get about 15 all in one cant believe your home soon just wanted to say bring me home a red panda please oh my god the cutest thing in the world i want one so bad our nelly will know herself then xxxxxxxxxxx
24th June 2007

numbers
You know it would make it much easier if you numbered these blogs - you don't have to use actual numbers just some sort of system so's I can remember what I've read. You can really tell you got a new nikki looking good

Tot: 0.158s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 61; dbt: 0.0814s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb