Welcome to Queensland


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Noosa Heads
May 20th 2007
Published: May 20th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Mike body boardingMike body boardingMike body boarding

In case you can't see what I'm saying. It's "Agggggggggggggggggggggghhhhhhh!"
We're now in our 5th state. We've been looking forward to getting to Surfers Paradise (part of the Gold Coast) as we'd managed to book ourselves our very own accomodation for the same price that we pay for our doubles in hostels. We weren't too sure if it might be a bit of a mess but the place was really nice. It was really nice to have our very own kitchen again where the only washing up you find inthe sink is your own and you don't have to re-clean every other plate you want to use. We decided to treat it as a holiday within a holiday so for the next five days and nights we really didn't do much. The first day we went and bought a cheap body board in one of the cheap shops which we then used every day on the beach which was only a couple of minutes walk from where we were staying.

The one thing we decided we would do was to visit one of the local theme parks. There are a few to choose from but I really wanted to go to a water park so we decided on wet
Debbie in SurfersDebbie in SurfersDebbie in Surfers

Our new fancy apartment with a view of the sea.
and wild which may sound like some kind of dodgey film but it's a water park honest. Do a google on it and see what you get... Second thoughts if you do a search, maybe you'd end up with something else. I'll just give you the link here.

As we had our own kitchen WITH AN OVEN we decided to have a few different meals to pasta and chilli. We got to have some roast vegetables and chicken!

From Surfers we got on the bus to Brisbane. I'd booked a room somewhere as it was in the lonely planet just off the map. Unfortunately it wasn't simply up the road off the map. It was in a different direction completely. Because of that we ended up walking around for 40 minutes with our backpacks on instead of just 10. When we finally found the place we were in quite a bit of pain so we didn't do much else that day other than some shopping. We also decided that we'd go to Australia Zoo home of the late Steve Irwin crocodile hunter. This meant another early get up to catch a train. We managed to get up, catch the train (despite a last minute platform change) and get to the zoo. If you've seen crocodile hunter diaries you'll know what to expect. The zoo tries to be different by letting you interact with more of the animals like feed elephants, feed kangaroos and pet a koala. It was good but Christchurch zoo made us have high expectations so we were expecting more. Our last day in Brisbane we decided to try to get to the South Bank to see the culture centre (museums and art gallerys) as well as a sort of man made beach, markets, cafes and a really nice walkway. It seemed quite a contrast to the city and it was good to see. One last thing to say is that unfortunately the hostel had bed bugs so we've got quite a few bites now which seem to be more itchy for me than for Debbie. Hopefully they'll go down soon as even writing about it makes me want to start scratching again. Next stop is Noosa which is part of the Sunshine coast.

Sorry for the flurry of updates all at once.


Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement

Debbie and Body BoardDebbie and Body Board
Debbie and Body Board

Cheap entertainment on the beach, the board only cost 5GBP
Mike's haircutMike's haircut
Mike's haircut

Times are hard when you have to cut your own hair.
Debbie at Wet and WildDebbie at Wet and Wild
Debbie at Wet and Wild

It wasn't overcast like that all day. The wave pool is behind and the colourful ride is the tornado.
Mike and TornadoMike and Tornado
Mike and Tornado

Really good fun.
Tasmanian DevilTasmanian Devil
Tasmanian Devil

At last we get to see one.
Debbie feeding ElephantDebbie feeding Elephant
Debbie feeding Elephant

It was a bit too much of a production line to really appreciate.
Feeding CrocsFeeding Crocs
Feeding Crocs

Luckily we weren't on the menu.
Mike at Australia ZooMike at Australia Zoo
Mike at Australia Zoo

I really overused the phrase all day. Crikey!
Debbie feeding KangarooDebbie feeding Kangaroo
Debbie feeding Kangaroo

She even has the animals eating out of the palm of her hand.
Crocs Rule!Crocs Rule!
Crocs Rule!

THe other phrase all over the place at the zoo.
Brisbane SkylineBrisbane Skyline
Brisbane Skyline

Another day, another city.
Brisbane South BankBrisbane South Bank
Brisbane South Bank

Nice quiet part of the city with no cars.


21st May 2007

Queensland is awesome
I was able to stay and study in Queensland for two years at the Uni of Qld (Brisbane). This part of Australia is really good for tourists and the like who wants sunshine, fresh air, beaches and forest. Unfortunately, I was not able to visit the Australia Zoo, but I did several visits to Surfers Paradise and Byron Bay. Byron Bay is a must see attraction which lies between Gold Coast and the boundary of New South Wales. Dont forget to visit some of the attractions in Gold Coast's theme parks. Enjoy the rest of your trip.
10th June 2007

Hey!
Alright Mike It's your bro mate by the way. It's cool reading your blog. Finally got to go to a waterpark that wasn't shut eh !! Looks like you guys are having a terrific time. Take care P.S. hope you've not wrecked any beds lately!! George

Tot: 0.167s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0542s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb