Back to LaBalsa, Yoi, these dudes are the real adventurers!


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Mooloolah
March 6th 2013
Published: April 23rd 2013
Edit Blog Post

We left Tinny and the Rainbow, to head back to the Sunshine Coast, to freeload at LaBalsa Park for a few days. Pardon our ignorance, but we always like to eventually check out the history and origins of the places we stay. La Balsa Park at Point Cartwright, has mega significance, in that it was the landing place for the Labalsa expedition. In 1970 a spaniard Vital Alsar led his three multinational companions on an incredible journey to demonstrate how ancient mariners could have sailed and emigrated to the pacific islands from the Americas. To prove this theory, they sailed across the pacific in a balsa wood raft from South America to land at Mooloolabah. To commemorate this incredible adventure, the park was named after the expedition. The four journeymen had their footprints set in concrete, their names and signatures were engraved on a signboard in the park. Incredibly three years later it was attempted and achieved again, but this time there were four Balsa wood rafts, that completed the expedition. These are the longest ever recorded maritime journeys on a raft.

One could only imagine the incredible hardships (pun intended) these balsa shipmates must have endured, blazing sun, incredible thirst, rationed food, how many Jack Nicholson, (the shining) cabin fever moments these guys must have had. Its not like you can tell someone to rack off or to go jump, or go to their room on a 14 foot balsa wood raft, somewhere in the vast pacific ocean.

We marvelled at their courage, skill and sense of high adventure. It definitely makes one appreciate the halcyon pleasures afforded to those fortunate to experience the freedom of travelling. Learning how to manage the elements and navigate your human skills in dealing with all kinds of daily situations, equally apply to Labalsians as it does to all long distance voyagers. It is imperative that one learns to deal with all of the various animals that roam the bush and suburban camps alike. They all command your respect and attention, or you pay the price of ignorance. Like the evening we were walking back to the van from the Point Cartwright breakwall under a twiilight sky. I was watching the path in front of me when I saw this 9 foot stick moving slowly across the path, STOP Littleflower, SNAKE, one of the largest pythons I have ever seen was taking a midnight sliver back to its camp for the night. My well versed snake etiquette has taught me to let them go their way without threat or surprise. Usually one then has the pleasure of a chance encounter with a high adrenalin snake experience. Perhaps it is something encoded within our DNA that lies latent, until snake enters arena, then heart races, brain on high alert, body ready to react, and then snake gone, sirens and lights stop screaming and flashing in our head, life returns to 90 beats per minute.

This time around we snapped some awesome sunsets, and enjoyed chilling out in the park of much luxury. It is always a joy to wake early and watch the kaleidoscope of humanity take to the park, going about their daily lives. La Balsa park is a melting pot of human cultures, where the full spectrum of society types converge for a day in the park. Millionaires, Surfers, gym junkies, beach bums, grey nomads (thats us) dog walkers of all shapes and sizes, morph into a blended community of parkees. We subscribe to the theory that dogs choose owners that look exactly like them. Point in case, we couldn't help but notice a posh one that obviously just left the frizzy tizzy hair salon and just had to drag its human companion off to the park to show off its new do, we couldn't tell them apart. Maybe the two and four legged difference may have been a bit of a give away, but apart from that, pretty much doppelganger stuff. Until next time, stay safe, well and happy.

Love to all Morningbird and Littleflower


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



25th April 2013

Cant think of a title
wonderful to share your experiences. Thank you dear friends for including me. Cant navigate everything thats appeared before me but did get the Labalsa letter and pics. Sorry I missed your calls Tess. Just got back from Buccarumbi. All is well in Coraki. Much love Sandra

Tot: 0.124s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0623s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb